Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: distance learning  (Read 3784 times)

Opie58

Re: distance learning
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »
I agree with this.  Plus, when push comes to shove, I'm all for giving folks a chance to do something, even if it's a longshot.  It's a free country and people should know the risks, but there are some (maybe many) people who, if given a 1 in 10 shot at being an attorney, WANT to have that 1 in 10 shot.  They don't want some bureaucratic process to turn it into a 0 in 10 shot.

Concur!!  Proper research and analysis will carry you a long way - even as a good lawyer.

LincolnLover

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 12:46:48 PM »
just out of curiosity where do you teach? I ask since I think it's cool we have an actual Prof here.  8)

As a matter of fact I did get a correspondence school JD, have passed two bars including California, am a member of three major bars and dozen minor ones, am a LLD candidate (student), and instruct online.  You say you want to discuss cases but all you offer are unsupported conclusions and opinion. First thing you do with an outliar state court case like Ross is Sheperdize it to see if any other court has cited it for good or bad. Secondly, Ross as a state court case cannot be a binding precedent outside Massachusetts.

LincolnLover

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 12:50:09 PM »
It does prove that it's at least up to the minimum standards of the US Dept of Education. It may not be a primary factor, but if the board is on the fence and could lean either way, and the degree is unaccredited vs accredited. I bet they'd be more willing to lean in support of the one that is accredited. Concord is the only regionally accredited one. My bet is they'd support that they most due to regional being above national too.

I agree, DETC is of no help with bars but does make a difference iyou want to use the JD for academic purposes.

I checked with the New Mexico peititioner, their app. is still tied up with red tape. They are contemplating going to the NM Supreme Court.

Taft alumni are members of multiple bars, Taft could do better to keep track.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 01:22:11 PM »
just out of curiosity where do you teach? I ask since I think it's cool we have an actual Prof here.  8)

Kaplan University, MSLS (Legal Studies) and MPA (Public Administration) programs
Norwich University Master of Arts in Diplomacy (MDY) program

LincolnLover

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 01:38:51 PM »
cool. Not a Prof of JD studies though I take it? I must have misunderstood that part.

Kaplan University, MSLS (Legal Studies) and MPA (Public Administration) programs
Norwich University Master of Arts in Diplomacy (MDY) program

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 06:18:08 PM »
Nope, I have a PhD in Political Science and a JD from Taft. I want to move over to a law faculty which I am working on a LLD.

LincolnLover

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2011, 12:56:35 PM »
Neat. Why go for for a LLD if already a lawyer? Is that like a JSD? Do they offer it online?

Nope, I have a PhD in Political Science and a JD from Taft. I want to move over to a law faculty which I am working on a LLD.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2011, 09:19:32 PM »
LLD is a PhD in Law, it involves writing a thesis, no class work. My specialty is international law. An American JD is considered the equivalent of Bachelors in Law outside the US even if the ABA makes the inflated claim a JD is the same as a PhD. 

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 08:24:10 AM »
Where are you earning your LLD?  I have an LLM but have been considering a doctorate as I'd like to do more teaching.  Thanks!

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 10:52:24 AM »
There are two external PhD/LLD options I know of and both are good, University of Leiden and University of South Africa. You need to contact them with your thesis proposal first to see if anyone on the faculty is interested in the topic.  I am with University of South Africa but I have a background representing African entities. Leiden might be the first choice:

http://law.leiden.edu/research/phdprogramme/how-to-become/howtobecomephdcandidate.html