Law Students > 1L job search

Part-time 1L/2L summers

(1/3) > >>

asdfjkl;:
Not sure if this should have been posted in another board, but here goes. I am a practicing attorney that recently graduated from a full-time program. Despite my pleas, one of my closest friends decided to attend law school at a part-time T4. I am absolutely horrified for her.

I have no experience with part-time programs. My question is: what -should- part-time 1Ls and 2Ls do over their summers? Are they supposed to take classes or intern etc like most full-timers? I asked my friend what her career office told her and I was confused by her response (which I'm not disclosing because I'm curious to hear from the board).

The only other person I know who attended a T4 was apparently told by her career office to take classes over her summers and not to worry about working or internships. I'm not sure if this advice is what she actually received, but I am pretty sure it was incorrect.

Any advice would be appreciated - I'm not trolling or whatever, just a former LSDer returning to the board for advice. I'm sure this might help other students as well. Thanks.

FalconJimmy:
As bad as it is for full-time 4Ts, the part-timers have it much worse, IMHO.

Most of them are told to continue to take classes in the Summer.  It's presumed that they already have full-time jobs, which is why they can't attend full-time.

Typically a part-timer takes 9 hours in the Fall and Spring and 6 hours in the Summer.  So, a total or 24 hours per year.  If they need 90 hours to graduate, this lets them graduate in 4 years. 

So, unless they want to stretch out law school for 5 or 6 years, they need the Summer classes.

As bad as the law employment market is for full-time 4Ts, it's got to be insane for part-timers.  This is something I'd strongly advise somebody to do full-time or forget it.  The only folks I know who are part-timers either already have a good job, and/or they were terrible applicants and were provisionally admitted as part-timers for a year.

justanothersucker:
Can you show one source of evidence that an employer anywhere has ever asked if the applicant went full or part time?

Wouldn't going part time basicly increase odds of higher GPA vs everything else in their life being the same but twice the course load?
Do you honestly think an employer is more concerned about the GPA or the # of years it took to graduate?

Do the degrees even reflect it on them? Undergrad sure dosn't for the ones they let do so and/or online.


--- Quote from: FalconJimmy on November 22, 2011, 08:43:02 PM ---As bad as it is for full-time 4Ts, the part-timers have it much worse, IMHO.

Most of them are told to continue to take classes in the Summer.  It's presumed that they already have full-time jobs, which is why they can't attend full-time.

Typically a part-timer takes 9 hours in the Fall and Spring and 6 hours in the Summer.  So, a total or 24 hours per year.  If they need 90 hours to graduate, this lets them graduate in 4 years. 

So, unless they want to stretch out law school for 5 or 6 years, they need the Summer classes.

As bad as the law employment market is for full-time 4Ts, it's got to be insane for part-timers.  This is something I'd strongly advise somebody to do full-time or forget it.  The only folks I know who are part-timers either already have a good job, and/or they were terrible applicants and were provisionally admitted as part-timers for a year.

--- End quote ---

FalconJimmy:

--- Quote from: justanothersucker on November 22, 2011, 10:19:00 PM ---Can you show one source of evidence that an employer anywhere has ever asked if the applicant went full or part time?

--- End quote ---

It's on your CV and your transcript.  They know.  Trust me, they know.


--- Quote from: justanothersucker on November 22, 2011, 10:19:00 PM ---Wouldn't going part time basicly increase odds of higher GPA vs everything else in their life being the same but twice the course load?
--- End quote ---

Not generally.  Part-timers usually have jobs.  They have a disproportionate number of provisional students.  In theory you could go part-time and get a better GPA, but why would a student capable of getting a better GPA want to go part-time?  The point is to graduate and get a job, not to take longer than normal to massage your GPA.



--- Quote from: justanothersucker on November 22, 2011, 10:19:00 PM ---Do you honestly think an employer is more concerned about the GPA or the # of years it took to graduate?
--- End quote ---

You've never interviewed, have you?  You'll see.  Employers want a full-time student with a high GPA.  That's what they're after.  Being part-time automatically puts you in a lesser strata.  Throw in the fact that you won't have Summer employment, a part-time legal job during the school year, and probably no law review or even moot court and the difference between a full-timer with a high gpa and a part-timer with a high gpa is stark.

You can pitch a fit about this all you want.  Part timers are at a severe disadvantage when it comes time to find work.  I honestly don't care if you believe me or not.  You'll see.

justanothersucker:
I'm presuming you are right based on your life experiences in those areas. I still can't imagine most schools put part time or full time on their degrees though. Can you post a copy or your (redacted) diploma to show it (minus your name)?

As for the GPA thing. Reread what I asked, IF ALL THINGS THE SAME BUT, so if working then still working, etc.

You seem to have been to a handful of interviews but do you have any ABA (or any other) stats and/or proof? I ask since I know people who swear to God they can read minds..........maybe they can, but some proof would be nice if it can be given.


--- Quote from: FalconJimmy on November 23, 2011, 12:44:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: justanothersucker on November 22, 2011, 10:19:00 PM ---Can you show one source of evidence that an employer anywhere has ever asked if the applicant went full or part time?

--- End quote ---

It's on your CV and your transcript.  They know.  Trust me, they know.


--- Quote from: justanothersucker on November 22, 2011, 10:19:00 PM ---Wouldn't going part time basicly increase odds of higher GPA vs everything else in their life being the same but twice the course load?
--- End quote ---

Not generally.  Part-timers usually have jobs.  They have a disproportionate number of provisional students.  In theory you could go part-time and get a better GPA, but why would a student capable of getting a better GPA want to go part-time?  The point is to graduate and get a job, not to take longer than normal to massage your GPA.



--- Quote from: justanothersucker on November 22, 2011, 10:19:00 PM ---Do you honestly think an employer is more concerned about the GPA or the # of years it took to graduate?
--- End quote ---

You've never interviewed, have you?  You'll see.  Employers want a full-time student with a high GPA.  That's what they're after.  Being part-time automatically puts you in a lesser strata.  Throw in the fact that you won't have Summer employment, a part-time legal job during the school year, and probably no law review or even moot court and the difference between a full-timer with a high gpa and a part-timer with a high gpa is stark.

You can pitch a fit about this all you want.  Part timers are at a severe disadvantage when it comes time to find work.  I honestly don't care if you believe me or not.  You'll see.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version