Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances at NYU? Bad first year GPA  (Read 1636 times)

shempskidd

• View Profile
Chances at NYU? Bad first year GPA
« on: November 19, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »
Hey Everyone,

In my first year of undergrad, I had a medical issue that caused me to receive a 1.4gpa and be withdrawn from my faculty. The year after that I received a 3.93 GPA, the next one a 3.8 gpa and the last one a 3.93 GPA

Year 1: 1.4 gpa
Year 2: 3.93 gpa
Year 3: 3.8 gpa
Year 4: 3.93 gpa

Overall: 3.3 gpa

I have been getting about a 162/164 on my practice LSAT. I'm currently applying to Osgoode Hall (in Canada) that has a combined Osgoode/NYU program, but you need to be accepted to both programs at some point (after being at Osgoode for two years, but where ungrad grades are still considered as well) to get into the combined program. I just wanted to know, explaining my medical issues and everything, what are my chances to get into the NYU program?

Thanks

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chances at NYU? Bad first year GPA
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 07:37:12 PM »
You aren't even close. 

https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/UGPALSAT/UGPALSAT.aspx

But wow... your last 3 years of grades are astounding.  Can you bring up that LSAT a bit? 

shempskidd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 08:04:37 PM »
If I have no shot, is it due to my first year or my LSAT? If it is due to my LSAT, how greatly will my first year affect me? Is there any way I can get it to not be in consideration?

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 08:24:26 PM »
If I have no shot, is it due to my first year or my LSAT? If it is due to my LSAT, how greatly will my first year affect me? Is there any way I can get it to not be in consideration?

Based on the LSAC site ( you should play with it to see what I'm talking about), you're a 0% chance with the LSAT you put up and your grades from first year.

Shoot, is there any way you can get your profs to give you "withdrew" or "withdrew passing" for your grades?  They're freakin' killing you.

With a higher LSAT, that just brings that side of the equation up a bit.  It's not that your GPA is bad.  It's that it's bad for admission to NYU law.

Play with the site and see what you can do to get your chances to move off of zero.

At that point, I'd say a strong personal statement and making a HUGE effort to draw attention to your grades from 2nd thru 4th year, you might get in.

Trouble is, admissions officers are reviewing hundreds of application files.  The first swipe they take, in all likelihood, is just for numbers alone.  So, if your numbers are great, you are probably an automatic accept.  Granted, they probably review to make sure you don't have something really wrong like a felony conviction, etc.

Likewise, they probably make a first pass to get rid of folks whose numbers are simply not anywhere near what they need to be.  You'd be in that boat at NYU, probably.  Keep in mind, it's one of the hardest schools in the country to get into.

They won't look at your transcript when making those first cuts.  They'll just look at your gpa.  You need to get them to look at your transcript or at least get far enough that they can READ your personal statement.  They will not read thousands of personal statements.  They'll only read the ones of people who stand a shot at admission.

So, see how it works?  With a higher LSAT, you might, numerically, get into the "maybe" pile instead of the "no way" pile after that first cut.  Once there, then you can sort of get a chance to explain (though mostly even then it's on numbers.)  Your grades are so good after your first year that you might be able to punch above your weight, gpa-wise.

In your shoes, I'd be spending every waking minute trying to get the mother of all monster LSAT scores.  Like 175 or higher.  Like close to 180.  That puts you in the upper range of LSAT scores for admitted students and you might get a chance to explain the situation with your grades. 

shempskidd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »

Based on the LSAC site ( you should play with it to see what I'm talking about), you're a 0% chance with the LSAT you put up and your grades from first year.

Shoot, is there any way you can get your profs to give you "withdrew" or "withdrew passing" for your grades?  They're freakin' killing you.

With a higher LSAT, that just brings that side of the equation up a bit.  It's not that your GPA is bad.  It's that it's bad for admission to NYU law.

Play with the site and see what you can do to get your chances to move off of zero.

At that point, I'd say a strong personal statement and making a HUGE effort to draw attention to your grades from 2nd thru 4th year, you might get in.

Trouble is, admissions officers are reviewing hundreds of application files.  The first swipe they take, in all likelihood, is just for numbers alone.  So, if your numbers are great, you are probably an automatic accept.  Granted, they probably review to make sure you don't have something really wrong like a felony conviction, etc.

Likewise, they probably make a first pass to get rid of folks whose numbers are simply not anywhere near what they need to be.  You'd be in that boat at NYU, probably.  Keep in mind, it's one of the hardest schools in the country to get into.

They won't look at your transcript when making those first cuts.  They'll just look at your gpa.  You need to get them to look at your transcript or at least get far enough that they can READ your personal statement.  They will not read thousands of personal statements.  They'll only read the ones of people who stand a shot at admission.

So, see how it works?  With a higher LSAT, you might, numerically, get into the "maybe" pile instead of the "no way" pile after that first cut.  Once there, then you can sort of get a chance to explain (though mostly even then it's on numbers.)  Your grades are so good after your first year that you might be able to punch above your weight, gpa-wise.

In your shoes, I'd be spending every waking minute trying to get the mother of all monster LSAT scores.  Like 175 or higher.  Like close to 180.  That puts you in the upper range of LSAT scores for admitted students and you might get a chance to explain the situation with your grades.

Wow, great reply. Very informational. To be honest with you, I'm disappointed with my first year GPA, but proud of what I did in undergrad as a whole. I will try my best to achieve a high score on the LSAT, but I will let the chips fall as they may. There's not much more I can do. Thank you very much for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »
but proud of what I did in undergrad as a whole.

You should be.  Those 2nd thru 4th year grades are amazing.