Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I have a shot at the T-14?  (Read 1102 times)

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do I have a shot at the T-14?
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 07:18:14 PM »
You may think it was excessive to re-post about just how astoundingly horrific your GPA is, and maybe you're right.

It's obvious that you're not stupid based on your LSAT.  You don't get a score like that based on stupidity.  In fact, your LSAT, alone, tells me that you might very well be a genius.

I wasn't calling YOU stupid.  I was emphasizing that your GPA isn't just bad, but insanely bad.  Seriously, mental retardation wouldn't be a sufficient excuse for a GPA that low.   

You are still in a position to change it.  You need to.

I don't know what admissions numbers look like for URMs, but I do know that if you were not a URM there might be, at best, maybe 10 or 20 ABA accredited schools in the country that would even let you in with a 2.1.  (And frankly, that might be being generous.  It's entirely possible that a 2.1, in and of itself, would automatically keep you from ever setting foot in a law school.)

As a URM, the number of schools that would accept you increases.  Maybe 30?  Maybe 40?  I think you can guess where those schools are in the pecking order and it's not T14.

I was trying to emphasize that you need to really think outside the box on this one.  Like change majors and delay graduation until you can bring your GPA up to 3.0.  Or leave your school after this semester and go get an associate's degree at a junior college so you can add 60 credit hours of 4.0 work to your GPA. 

Too much work?  Too big a sacrifice?

If that's what you're thinking, you are absolutely NOT ready for law school.

The difference between 2.1 and 3.0 on admissions is huge.  It could very well be the difference between going to a school that's ranked, say, 130th and going to one ranked 30th.  It may also mean the difference between never going to law school and going on a full-ride.

Frankly, the rationalizations aren't going to work with me and they won't work with anybody at a decent law school. 

<<I messed around in college, didn't focus, dealt with depression, failed a few courses that I had no business failing, etc. Bad GPAs happen for a variety of reasons.>>

Sorry, babe.  That's bull.  I've known quite a few people who messed around, didn't focus, had bouts of depression.  You are acting like you can rationalize a 2.1 away.  You claim you're owning this, but you're not. 

Bad GPA's do happen for a variety of reasons, but they all have the same result:  people will think you were a complete and total failure at one thing in life and will extend that failure to your prospects at other things in life.

There's a world of difference between how you prefer to think of your GPA, and how the world thinks of it. 

If you were already graduating, that's one thing.  You have no choice but to apply and take your chances.  However, if you have ambitions to go T14 (and based on your LSAT you have more than enough potential to go to a T1 or T2 school), you need to pull out all the stops on this and think outside the box to do WHATEVER YOU CAN DO to bring that thing up.

So, that's the point of hammering this point home.  You can bring your GPA up.  Once you graduate, you can't. 

If your answer is, "Well, not going to do that.  Gonna just apply with what I got and let it play out from there.  Maybe they'll understand that I was unfocused", then I'm not sure you're ready for law school.

Just one perspective.  You did come here for that, didn't you?  Or did you just come to hear the nice stuff.

chasingpavements

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 08:31:32 PM »
So much presumption and judgment, so little advice.  Whatever. 

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »

A crap attitude combined with the GPA of a mental deficient.  Whatever.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 09:08:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice! I prefer to think that my GPA is that of a very lazy, very unfocused person who is otherwise intelligent, lol. But seriously, I started college before I was ready, and then I had to deal with depression.  And, I haven't graduated yet, so there's a chance that I could raise my GPA a tiny bit, but not by much.

Whoa!  Stop right there.  If that's true, you CAN follow fortook's advice.  Take as many creampuff classes as you can take before applying for graduation.  Seriously, like take a Summer-Fall-Spring-Summer classes at a Junior College.  Take ONLY as many classes as you need to graduate from your school.  The more high grade credits you can get in there, the more you can raise that GPA.

And don't delude yourself.  A lazy, unfocused person

who is otherwise intelligent is probably somebody who ended up with a 3.0.  A 2.1 is the GPA of somebody who is just stone cold stupid.  If you can change that thing, do it.

Of anyone in the world to confuse me with- that guy?  Really? I think my heart just broke a little. 

I assumed she had graduated as well.  OP- you and Jimmy might be going at it right now, but his advice is sound.  You can still up your GPA a little- there is a big difference between a 2.1 and a 2.5.  Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

justanothersucker

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 07:29:05 PM »
the word "whatever" just about sums up any questions left.

Being honors in k-12 just means you didn't eat paste. You know that right?

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »
Of anyone in the world to confuse me with- that guy?  Really? I think my heart just broke a little. 

Hahaha!  Sorry.  If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure this is because I was thinking about one of your other insightful, excellent posts.  And personally, I don't mind sucker.  Takes all kinds to make the world go round.