Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I have a shot at the T-14?  (Read 1052 times)

chasingpavements

• View Profile
Do I have a shot at the T-14?
« on: November 19, 2011, 02:09:50 PM »
Hi guys. I'm an AA female with a 2.1 GPA (I know), and got a 168 on the October LSAT. Let's just say my first year of college wasn't great, and I was a middling student in general  after that.  I have changed a lot, albeit a little too late, and think I could handle the pressures of law school. My resume and my LSAT score give me hope, and I really do want to go to the best school that I can. Someone recently informed me that I should stop looking at T2 schools, and apply all over the top 100. He even suggested that the T-14 was in play, but I seriously doubt that. I like the idea of applying to Northwestern and Gtown, but I am overestimating myself a bit? If so, could you guys give me an idea of where I should apply? Thanks!

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do I have a shot at the T-14?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 03:02:14 PM »
Hi guys. I'm an AA female with a 2.1 GPA (I know), and got a 168 on the October LSAT. Let's just say my first year of college wasn't great, and I was a middling student in general  after that.  I have changed a lot, albeit a little too late, and think I could handle the pressures of law school. My resume and my LSAT score give me hope, and I really do want to go to the best school that I can. Someone recently informed me that I should stop looking at T2 schools, and apply all over the top 100. He even suggested that the T-14 was in play, but I seriously doubt that. I like the idea of applying to Northwestern and Gtown, but I am overestimating myself a bit? If so, could you guys give me an idea of where I should apply? Thanks!

Apply everywhere.  Who knows.  You've got the GPA of a mentally retarded person and the LSAT of a genius.  Who knows, maybe the URM admissions process is more wholistic than for non-URMs and somebody will take a look and say, "Well, with an LSAT like that, she's seriously smart."  I think you do realize that your undergrad GPA is ridiculous.  However, I just don't know enough about the URM admissions process to say whether that'll kill you of not.  If you were not a URM, I'd probably feel confident in saying that you're facing long odds even getting in to an accredited law school, but that LSAT is truly exceptional. 

justanothersucker

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 03:06:21 PM »
I agree, that is a good lsat. If after you apply, you have issue due to the GPA, consider going to a few easy classes to raise the cumulative GPA. I would recommend college level Gym and BS like that. Easy A's will raise it a bit. You may not need to worry about it, but it's a good backup plan in case you do.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »
I agree, that is a good lsat. If after you apply, you have issue due to the GPA, consider going to a few easy classes to raise the cumulative GPA. I would recommend college level Gym and BS like that. Easy A's will raise it a bit. You may not need to worry about it, but it's a good backup plan in case you do.

Doesn't work.  Once you have your first bachelor's, that's it.

justanothersucker

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 03:13:21 PM »

Doesn't work.  Once you have your first bachelor's, that's it.

LSAC tends to disagree.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 03:23:37 PM »
Grades Excluded From Conversion
•Those awarded after the first undergraduate degree was received.

http://www.lsac.org/policies/transcript-summarization.asp#excluded

justanothersucker

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »
I stand corrected. Thanks for the link.

Also worth pointing out that for those wondering about NP's impact on their LSAC and admissions chances, it also listed in their catagory of not countings......

•Withdrawal grades that signify failure (such as WF=Withdraw/Fail, WU=Withdrew Unsatisfactory, WNP=Withdrew Not Passing) if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive. The total number of credits assigned to these grades will appear on the applicant's academic summary, but will not be included in the GPA calculation.

•A No Credit grade that does not signify failure and for which no attempt at credit was made (e.g., NC=No Credit/Withdraw, or NC=No Credit Attempted).

•Passing grades from systems of one or two passing grades (e.g., Pass/Fail, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, Credit/No Credit, or Honors/Pass/Fail, High Pass/Pass/Fail), and those for which conversion rules cannot be formulated, including courses for which a transcript gives only narratives or descriptions. Credits for the work in these courses are totaled and reported separately as unconverted credits.

chasingpavements

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 03:56:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice! I prefer to think that my GPA is that of a very lazy, very unfocused person who is otherwise intelligent, lol. But seriously, I started college before I was ready, and then I had to deal with depression.  And, I haven't graduated yet, so there's a chance that I could raise my GPA a tiny bit, but not by much. 

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 04:00:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice! I prefer to think that my GPA is that of a very lazy, very unfocused person who is otherwise intelligent, lol. But seriously, I started college before I was ready, and then I had to deal with depression.  And, I haven't graduated yet, so there's a chance that I could raise my GPA a tiny bit, but not by much.

Whoa!  Stop right there.  If that's true, you CAN follow fortook's advice.  Take as many creampuff classes as you can take before applying for graduation.  Seriously, like take a Summer-Fall-Spring-Summer classes at a Junior College.  Take ONLY as many classes as you need to graduate from your school.  The more high grade credits you can get in there, the more you can raise that GPA.

And don't delude yourself.  A lazy, unfocused person who is otherwise intelligent is probably somebody who ended up with a 3.0.  A 2.1 is the GPA of somebody who is just stone cold stupid.  If you can change that thing, do it.

chasingpavements

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 06:23:25 PM »

Whoa!  Stop right there.  If that's true, you CAN follow fortook's advice.  Take as many creampuff classes as you can take before applying for graduation.  Seriously, like take a Summer-Fall-Spring-Summer classes at a Junior College.  Take ONLY as many classes as you need to graduate from your school.  The more high grade credits you can get in there, the more you can raise that GPA.

And don't delude yourself.  A lazy, unfocused person who is otherwise intelligent is probably somebody who ended up with a 3.0.  A 2.1 is the GPA of somebody who is just stone cold stupid.  If you can change that thing, do it.

I was an honors student in HS without trying, so "stone cold stupid" just doesn't apply to me. I messed around in college, didn't focus, dealt with depression, failed a few courses that I had no business failing, etc. Bad GPAs happen for a variety of reasons. Come on. I recognize the situation I'm in,  and I'm prepared to take my lumps.  I would appreciate it if you would stick to the good advice you've given so far instead of insulting me.