Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 39 and considering law school  (Read 2726 times)

coach39

• View Profile
Re: 39 and considering law school
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 11:31:37 PM »
I wasnt considering a doctorate for academia- I really dont like true academia. Rather a doctorate in public administration for a future career. IDK I really am considering law school though. Also for those of you that responded to earlier posts I appreciate it. I think anyone that has taken the LSAT gone thru a law school program and passed the bar is impressive regardless of what tier the school is. I've coached long enough to know that athletes and teams from the best programs dont always win its usually who wants it more and will not give in. Admitly I am completely on the outside looking in at this whole process- I just want to ask questions and gather information. I am grateful those of you in the process or those of you that are practicing law already take time to answer my questions. Thank you so much.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 09:32:57 AM »
What you want then is a MPA (Masters in Public Administration), a PhD in Public Administration from a reputable school would take quite a few years and would not add any value unless you wanted to become college faculty. You can get an accredited MPA online through Kaplan University and others.

justanothersucker

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 04:48:10 PM »
Many (if not most) politicians are lawyers. You can get a joint MPA/JD I believe. Most lawschools have joint degrees of varying kinds.

justanothersucker

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 01:40:18 AM »
I think he just wants a step above a masters. He says he has MULTIPLE masters already. Whatever use they have, they are already there and doing it for him.

The PhdEd may not be a horrible idea, you'd think somewhere they'd offer a join JD version of that though, just since there seems to be joint everything. Heck RI gives a joint JD/Mariner degree.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »
Our school will do a joint degree with any other graduate school at the university.  The only issue is reciprocity of credits.  The law school is pretty liberal about accepting credits, some other schools aren't.  At a minimum, it allows you to apply 12 credits to your JD and if the other school allows JD credits, you can get 12 for their program, too.

mtm1980

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »
Here's my question ... I am a history major and as such obviously know a bunch of people looking for history teaching jobs ... as far as I'm aware there are none ... ANYWHERE.  So ... can one of them have your spot?

Oh well ... I'm going to law school ... I'll let my friends deal with that :)

This post is of no value ... I apologize.

justanothersucker

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »
Common Law is History, lots and lots of history. You should enjoy that part.    8)

Here's my question ... I am a history major and as such obviously know a bunch of people looking for history teaching jobs ... as far as I'm aware there are none ... ANYWHERE.  So ... can one of them have your spot?

Oh well ... I'm going to law school ... I'll let my friends deal with that :)

This post is of no value ... I apologize.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 11:38:22 PM »
Not true - all professions are not on the same level as law when it comes to cost for license and difficulty finding work.  There are plenty of jobs for nurses and pilots.  Nurses don't spend $100K for their degrees either, maybe 30K on the high end at a public university.  You just cannot compare other career's employment stats unless they have similar requirements.  Taking 30K in loans for a nursing degree and being unemployed sucks, but in-and-of-itself is not financially devastating - worst case the military will fall over themselves to have you join and it's great experience.  Being 100K in debt and unemployed as a lawyer is a whole different kettle of fish.

It doesn't do much to contribute to the situation, but where else I have heard there are no jobs? Oh yea this board there are no jobs for lawyers. Talk to nursing students no jobs for nurses. Pilots no jobs there.

lawschoolsurvival

• View Profile
    • Law School Survival
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 06:44:18 PM »
Most of the Pro's and Con's have already been discussed, but I thought a little more elaboration on cost v. reward is in order.

All states will be a little different, but in Illinois, the average salary for a new lawyer is roughly $40,000. A few of the top students in my class got excellent paying jobs, but they hate their life right now... those jobs will keep you extremely busy and away from your family. I also know a few friends who are making only $30,000. In the bigger cities, some are making around $50,000-60,000.

Also, even if you find a more economical law school (as I would personally suggest), there are a lot of costs that they don't tell you about in addition to tuition and supplies. A lot of law students need to get $10,000-$15,000 just in Bar loans in order to financially survive the period of time that they will be studying for the bar after graduation.
www.LawSchoolSurvival.org  - Tips, tricks, and strategies for surviving law school and the bar exam.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 05:32:16 PM »
A few of the top students in my class got excellent paying jobs, but they hate their life right now... those jobs will keep you extremely busy and away from your family.

The only thing I'll add there is that we're talking what, maybe $80,000 or $100,000 a year?  First year out of law school? 

If you go into any other field, there are jobs that pay $80,000 to $100,000 a year.  And if you work those jobs, you probably aren't punching a clock.  You're probably working until 6:30 or 7:00 every night and putting in a half day on Saturday morning. 

It's hard to find a high paying job that you will be able to do on a 9 to 5 basis with plenty of time left over for the family.  Any job that involves travel?  Zero time with family when you're on the road. 

It's just not that easy to make six figures, regardless of what you try.  Chances are you'll have to put forth some extraordinary effort.