Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2 Weeks before Test and Score Not High Enough  (Read 1652 times)

reddawnn27

• View Profile
    • Email
2 Weeks before Test and Score Not High Enough
« on: November 14, 2011, 05:15:46 PM »
I am taking the December 3rd LSAT, and right now I am getting 161 on my practice tests.

I have been taking 2-3 practices tests a week, reviewing the practice tests, practicing types of questions I get wrong, and working on timing. I would like to bring my score up to 168 at least.

What else should I be doing? And how best should I use the days I have left?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

justanothersucker

Re: 2 Weeks before Test and Score Not High Enough
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 05:34:36 PM »
If you can afford it, go to a seminar. If not, study like mad. Not much more you can do.

Q&A's. The newer the better. Both the ones LSAC gives and the private company ones.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »
I am taking the December 3rd LSAT, and right now I am getting 161 on my practice tests.

I have been taking 2-3 practices tests a week, reviewing the practice tests, practicing types of questions I get wrong, and working on timing. I would like to bring my score up to 168 at least.

What else should I be doing? And how best should I use the days I have left?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Are you using some sort of method?  Personally, I wish I'd done a Powerscore book or two before the test.  Especially the logic games one.

reddawnn27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 06:02:05 PM »
I took a three month prep course with Testmasters. The class ended in October, and I have been studying on my own since then. I am using their test materials.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 06:11:53 PM »
I took a three month prep course with Testmasters. The class ended in October, and I have been studying on my own since then. I am using their test materials.

Is there a specific section that's giving you fits?  Maybe try a different method for that?  Try it from a different angle?  Who knows, sometimes you just need to hear things a little differently and then they click.

reddawnn27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:51:54 AM »
I'm having the most problem with the logic game section. I can't seem to finish in time. I was told that logic games just take a lot of practice. but do you know of another method/ strategy?

vertac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 12:56:26 PM »
Is it the setup that is taking up the most time or the individual questions?  Is there a game type that gives you greater difficulty? (linear, grouping, pure sequencing,...)

If your accuracy is good but time is a factor, one possible approach would be to just concentrate on three of the games and skip the game type you find most difficult.  Lets say you skip a game that has 5 questions and just guess D for all the questions in that section.  You will have about a 1 in 5 chance of getting a correct answer for that game section.  If you were accurate with the rest of your game questions, you would only have about 4 incorrect answers which would be very good, especially if games are your weakness.  Lets say as a worst case senario, you get 4 wrong on each of the other sections.  If your LSAT is 101 questions, that leaves you with a raw score of 85 and a scaled score of about 169.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 01:34:47 PM »
I'm having the most problem with the logic game section. I can't seem to finish in time. I was told that logic games just take a lot of practice. but do you know of another method/ strategy?

This is the book I wish I had gotten:

http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-LSAT-Logic-Games-Bible/dp/0980178207/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321382064&sr=8-2

MNBiz

• View Profile
    • No Competing
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 02:27:01 PM »
Yikes the LSAT sure sounds tough!

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 02:27:56 PM »
Yikes the LSAT sure sounds tough!

It's really worth doing well on, though.  Lots of full-rides for high LSATs.