Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DON'T DO IT!!  (Read 5046 times)

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: DON'T DO IT!!
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 03:17:26 PM »
Do you honest believe that enough lawyers are doing that to scew the stats that bad? Do you really think law grads by huge waves are taking minimum wage jobs?

Yes.  I know of at least 6 in my graduating class (2009) that had no jobs at graduation and who still haven't made their way into the legal services market.  One of the six contacts me about every other month to see if I can help her.  6/170 = 3.5% = 6 new burger flippers in the world = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQyib5ZQZY

LincolnLover

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 03:56:03 PM »
So your friends have honestly been working at fastfood this entire time? They tell you that?

Do you honest believe that enough lawyers are doing that to scew the stats that bad? Do you really think law grads by huge waves are taking minimum wage jobs?

Yes.  I know of at least 6 in my graduating class (2009) that had no jobs at graduation and who still haven't made their way into the legal services market.  One of the six contacts me about every other month to see if I can help her.  6/170 = 3.5% = 6 new burger flippers in the world = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQyib5ZQZY

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 02:36:58 PM »
I hate sounding like a jaded 3L, but yeah - things are rough for law school graduates right now.
A friend of mine graduated in the top 10%.  She hasn't found work yet.  She's been contemplating opening her own firm.  In the meantime, she found a job in the legal field just recently!  She's proctoring law school exams at the law school.
I wish the positive, rosy outlook was accurate, but I'm afraid that right now, things are far worse than the numbers imply.  Good people are having a hard time getting work.  Those who do are happy to accept lower salaries (most of the folks I know who graduated are happy to earn $40-$50k, with some happy to earn even less.).  As a matter of fact, I don't know a single graduate in the last two years who landed one of those six figure gigs.
Do you?

LincolnLover

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »
So then she qualifies for income base repayment.
What job would she have done without the JD since she couldn't find anything else with it anyways?

I hate sounding like a jaded 3L, but yeah - things are rough for law school graduates right now.
A friend of mine graduated in the top 10%.  She hasn't found work yet.  She's been contemplating opening her own firm.  In the meantime, she found a job in the legal field just recently!  She's proctoring law school exams at the law school.
I wish the positive, rosy outlook was accurate, but I'm afraid that right now, things are far worse than the numbers imply.  Good people are having a hard time getting work.  Those who do are happy to accept lower salaries (most of the folks I know who graduated are happy to earn $40-$50k, with some happy to earn even less.).  As a matter of fact, I don't know a single graduate in the last two years who landed one of those six figure gigs.
Do you?

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 11:05:25 PM »
So your friends have honestly been working at fastfood this entire time? They tell you that?

Some tell me, some don't.  The ones that don't usually can't hide it - my state's bar gives info on the firms that attorneys work for.  If no firm is listed, it's not hard to make the inference.

LincolnLover

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 06:51:31 PM »
The absence of evidence equals the evidence of absence ( in this case anyways)

So if someone is solo practioner does it show that too? Does it show lawyers even if no job, or do they only appear on the list once hired into a firm?

In all fairness, that only shows they don't work for a firm. It dosn't show any proof of minimum wage employment, let alone location or type.

Some tell me, some don't.  The ones that don't usually can't hide it - my state's bar gives info on the firms that attorneys work for.  If no firm is listed, it's not hard to make the inference.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 08:42:21 PM »
So if someone is solo practioner does it show that too? Does it show lawyers even if no job, or do they only appear on the list once hired into a firm?

Yes, if you're a member of the bar, you must post your employment.  If you're a solo, it will say so.  The names appear in the database by virtue of bar membership.  The correct employment must be listed to confirm whether or not members are in a position requiring them to maintain an IOLTA account.

LincolnLover

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 07:12:12 PM »
Can you copy&paste someones info here that says fastfood so we can see it?

Yes, if you're a member of the bar, you must post your employment.  If you're a solo, it will say so.  The names appear in the database by virtue of bar membership.  The correct employment must be listed to confirm whether or not members are in a position requiring them to maintain an IOLTA account.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 11:42:32 PM »
Can you copy&paste someones info here that says fastfood so we can see it?

Name: LincolnLover
School: Tier 4
Employment:  "fastfood"
Graduation Date:  5/10/2014
Bar Membership Date: 10/25/2020

Ok?

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 05:02:03 PM »
If out of 170 people only 6 couldn't find employment I would say your school did a pretty good job. I can't think of any other profession other than perhaps medicine that finds related jobs for more than 95% of it's graduates. If 164 found jobs and 6 didn't I am guessing there is a problem with the 6 people not your school or the legal profession.

Logic fail.  I expected better from you, Bigs....

The six people that I referenced TOLD me that they didn't have a job upon graduation.  I have subsequently kept in contact with several of these people or looked to see what became of them on my state's bar membership directory.  Who knows how many others in my class were unemployed, but didn't tell me (in my experience, generally, unless you're close to someone, they don't volunteer to tell you that they're unemployed)?  Once again, I know that AT LEAST 6 were unemployed.