Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

I think you should/could....

Apply to these school because I think you have a good chance
Reconsider your options you have no shot!
You could get into most of these school if you do well on your LSAT
score well on your LSAT and you could gain admission to all of these schools

Author Topic: What are my chances?.....  (Read 1839 times)

operation-success

• View Profile
What are my chances?.....
« on: November 14, 2011, 02:06:36 AM »
I need some help figuring out where I want to apply and what my chances are. let me know what you guys think. Tell me if i'm being reasonable here. I'm a junior at the university of Michigan. My grades aren't that good..I suspect I will graduate with a 2.9 because I've had that since I got here and Im a junior now and it doesn't budge much. I have never taken the LSAT but I have studied a little for it. I'm currently taking an online class and getting a private tutor in January for the June LSAT. My major is political science with a minor in African American studies. I also have good extracurriculars. LAst summer I also Had a job working with a prominent health insurance company as in intern in their legal department and will be doing that again this summer.

School: University of Michigan
GPA: 2.9
LSAT: hopefully 155-160..
African American Male

I'm thinking about applying to... University of Detroit mercy, Wayne state,Depaul, Loyola,Michigan state college of law and Michigan just for shits. I want to stay in Michigan because I think this is where I want to ultimately practice one day. If not Michigan I was thinking Chicago since it is close. I would appreciate constructive feedback. thanks!

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What are my chances?.....
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 02:17:25 PM »
Your projected numbers aren't that bad.  With a 160 you can, conceivably, get into them all except UM.  If you want to practice in MI then there are a bunch of schools you can get into.

I'm not sure how accurate lawschoolpredictor is, but try entering your numbers, then entering them again and check URM.  The difference is crazy.  Kind of scary actually how much race still matters on a bunch of levels.

lawschoolnumbers is one of the best resources out the- try that for more accurate predictions.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

GGI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:26:47 AM »
Yes I agree, your numbers are not bad at all! Go for it!

Tofayel

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - apobangladesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »
Now you should try your best for achieve 160+ LSAT score, then you can easily admit into Michigan or Chicago University.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:32:22 PM »
MI or Chicago will take a crazy high LAST.  More than 160+.  Mi is in the top 5 and probably isn't attainable with out a 170+.  Shooting for the improbable can be a good thing, but practicality is useful as well.

Don't feel bad if you can't get into MI or Chicago.  Hardly anyone can get into those schools.  Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

ipscientific

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 10:33:23 PM »
I need some help figuring out where I want to apply and what my chances are. let me know what you guys think. Tell me if i'm being reasonable here. I'm a junior at the university of Michigan. My grades aren't that good..I suspect I will graduate with a 2.9 because I've had that since I got here and Im a junior now and it doesn't budge much. I have never taken the LSAT but I have studied a little for it. I'm currently taking an online class and getting a private tutor in January for the June LSAT. My major is political science with a minor in African American studies. I also have good extracurriculars. LAst summer I also Had a job working with a prominent health insurance company as in intern in their legal department and will be doing that again this summer.

African American Male

I'm thinking about applying to... University of Detroit mercy, Wayne state,Depaul, Loyola,Michigan state college of law and Michigan just for shits. I want to stay in Michigan because I think this is where I want to ultimately practice one day. If not Michigan I was thinking Chicago since it is close. I would appreciate constructive feedback. thanks!

Go for it. You will never know unless you go for it. These people on the boards do not have exact answers and it is hearsay. No disrespect to anyone.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 03:11:56 PM »
^^ WTF is up with this guy?  Master of the Obvious.  Leader of the Patronizers.  No disrespect intended after a blatant and obvious insult- Uh wait......

sollicitus

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 07:15:28 PM »

African American Male

Go for it. You will never know unless you go for it. These people on the boards do not have exact answers and it is hearsay. No disrespect to anyone.

Genius decides to post "these people" on the black law students board. 
hmm.......I wonder if "these" is synonymous with "those"?
 :P

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:32:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure s/he just meant everyone on LSD (I hope).  I also might be being a little to mean to him/her, myself.  The ignorance behind patronizing generalizations is one of my pet peeves- it infuriates me to no end and is no better than its polar opposite- "all immigrants are looser leeches", or some such negative mass generalization seen on Fox News, etc.   

Nothing personal, ipscientific, sincerely. But some personalizing of people's issues might be more helpful than grandiose blanket statements that, while good intentioned, are just flat wrong and more rude than not.  I do not think you are intending to come off as rude, however.  Cheers, buddy.

ipscientific

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 11:59:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure s/he just meant everyone on LSD (I hope).  I also might be being a little to mean to him/her, myself.  The ignorance behind patronizing generalizations is one of my pet peeves- it infuriates me to no end and is no better than its polar opposite- "all immigrants are looser leeches", or some such negative mass generalization seen on Fox News, etc.   

Nothing personal, ipscientific, sincerely. But some personalizing of people's issues might be more helpful than grandiose blanket statements that, while good intentioned, are just flat wrong and more rude than not.  I do not think you are intending to come off as rude, however.  Cheers, buddy.

Of course I meant everyone on LSD.

I know what you mean but I think it was a good blanket statement. You probably can't stand me saying that! But I believe I am correct that he needs to go for it. He is probably going to get 50 different answers from 50 different people so I say go for it and find out for yourself.

It was a positive suggestion and I said no disrespect to anyone on the boards. I think it's important to believe in yourself and go with your own intuition. Have some confidence. Go for it. That's all.