Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So ... where?  (Read 931 times)

mtm1980

So ... where?
« on: November 11, 2011, 03:51:22 PM »
So I have gathered all my info and started applying ... I have been offered the following ... please no bashing ... just friendly opinions.

Cooley - $9,000
Florida Costal - $10,000
Phoenix Law - $10,000
Charlotte Law - $8500

So ... for someone interested in a part-time program ... and an emphasis in Wills and Trusts ... what would everyone recommend?

Thanks!

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: So ... where?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 04:03:32 PM »
I would consider the location first and foremost. If you want to be in Phoneix then go to Phoneix, Charlotte go to Charlotte, Michigan-Cooley.

Secondly what are the terms on these scholarship offers? Most schools if not all schools that offer merit based scholarships require you to maintain a 3.0 or maintain some percetnage in the class. Most 0L's presume they will get a 3.0 or be in the top 35%, because they are special, but everyone at any ABA school is smart and hardworking and on the first day of school 100% of students think they will be in the top 10%, but 90% are wrong. This also goes to the 3.0 requirement, which almost every student at an ABA school thinks they will get. However, law school grading is NOTHING like undergrad. Usually only 35% of first year law studetns can have a 3.0 or higher based on the curve. Even if everyone does an amazing job only 35% can have a 3.0. So there is a 65% chance in that situation you will lose your scholarship nothing personal just the reality of it. So check the conditions on the scholarship that makes a HUGE difference. It can save you 20-30k which is a lot of money.

Another thing to consider is going to a state school that offers way lower tuition. A school like Florida International University is WAY cheaper than any of those schools mentioned only 12k a year so even without a scholarship you are paying way less. If you really want to save you can go to North Dakota or South Dakota I believe it is only 6-7k and cost of living is minimal so you could get out debt free and I woudl say Cooley, Florida Coastal, and the schools you have listed are on par with North Dakota, South Dakota, Florida International Unviersity, and CUNY in New York is a very cheap school as well. They are all ABA approved and you basically are getting the same thing, but you can get it MUCH cheaper from a state school and looking at your selections it doesn't seem like you have any geographic limitations.

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:57:38 PM »
Not bashing- Florida Coastal  and Charlotte are both for profits.  Cooley, well I'm sure that's been covered by others.  I don't know anything about Phoenix. 

Doesn't your state have a state school.  40k - 9k= 31k, which is still a lot more than most public schools offering no scholarships. Ok, sorry I did bash a little. ;)
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 10:09:09 AM »
I agree with Bigs - these dollar figures should not make or break a decision.  Go where you want to live and practice.

mtm1980

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 11:10:19 AM »
Hey ... thanks everybody for your thoughts.  For me location isan't as important; however, very good point about maintaining my scholarship where I go ... I've just started pouring though the information so I will definately take a look at that.  I am also looking into some state schools like you suggested, although I doubt I would receive any scholarship I do agree that often times they are less expensive anyway. 

I would consider the location first and foremost. If you want to be in Phoneix then go to Phoneix, Charlotte go to Charlotte, Michigan-Cooley.

Secondly what are the terms on these scholarship offers? Most schools if not all schools that offer merit based scholarships require you to maintain a 3.0 or maintain some percetnage in the class. Most 0L's presume they will get a 3.0 or be in the top 35%, because they are special, but everyone at any ABA school is smart and hardworking and on the first day of school 100% of students think they will be in the top 10%, but 90% are wrong. This also goes to the 3.0 requirement, which almost every student at an ABA school thinks they will get. However, law school grading is NOTHING like undergrad. Usually only 35% of first year law studetns can have a 3.0 or higher based on the curve. Even if everyone does an amazing job only 35% can have a 3.0. So there is a 65% chance in that situation you will lose your scholarship nothing personal just the reality of it. So check the conditions on the scholarship that makes a HUGE difference. It can save you 20-30k which is a lot of money.

Another thing to consider is going to a state school that offers way lower tuition. A school like Florida International University is WAY cheaper than any of those schools mentioned only 12k a year so even without a scholarship you are paying way less. If you really want to save you can go to North Dakota or South Dakota I believe it is only 6-7k and cost of living is minimal so you could get out debt free and I woudl say Cooley, Florida Coastal, and the schools you have listed are on par with North Dakota, South Dakota, Florida International Unviersity, and CUNY in New York is a very cheap school as well. They are all ABA approved and you basically are getting the same thing, but you can get it MUCH cheaper from a state school and looking at your selections it doesn't seem like you have any geographic limitations.

Hopefully that is somewhat helpful.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 09:00:42 AM »
How can location not be important?  Surely you have SOME preference as to where you want to live, work, and build a life.

mtm1980

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 09:25:07 AM »
Oddly enough location really doesn't matter in this case.  I have lived in a cold climate my entire life so all of the above are improvements.  I've already filtered out the assorted Minnesota's etc.  I have very little family as most of them are passed on now and have no real ties to any particular city/region etc. 

I probably have the lowest set of expectations for any law student candidate, I just want to do Wills & Estates and have absolutely ZERO grand delusions of making 100K + or litigating much of anything so ... value is key.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 09:59:45 AM »
I've already filtered out the assorted Minnesota's etc. 

So, you're talking about Cooley in Florida, then?

mtm1980

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 01:59:49 PM »
Was actually interested in FL. Coastal First.

Look ... I understand about reputations in this profession as well as anyone. and how much money you can really make, and where you can actually work, and actually GET work.  I know what I want to do, eye on the prize, but I'm also realistic and I need to take the best deal I can find.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 02:49:34 PM »
If you have really have no standards about where to live and work then I would say establish residency in South or North Dakota then go to school there. I believe it is under 10k per year for tuition and the cost of living is minimal. You could get an ABA degree for under 50k and the South Dakota is allegedly one of the easiest to bars pass. Every JAG person I interviewed with said they just took the South Dakota Bar because all you need for JAG is to be licensed in one state. It is just 150 MC questions (I think) and your good to go. If you want a cheap law school degree, bar passage, etc then the Dakotas are the place to go. They are ABA approved schools and like any other ABA school they will teach you the law. North Dakota or South Dakota or not Harvard, but there are certainly on par with a majority of other schools that are far more expensive.