Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FEEDBACK on gpa addendum - illness & full time work (EDITED)  (Read 670 times)

LovingLaw89

FEEDBACK on gpa addendum - illness & full time work (EDITED)
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:46:26 AM »

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Edit/feedback on gpa addendum - illness & full time work
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:54:30 AM »
Looks great. 

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: FEEDBACK on gpa addendum - illness & full time work (EDITED)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:20:02 PM »
The problem with UGPA addendums is everyone with a low GPA gives some excuse and I suspect they are often not even read.   Like you I had some nasty health issues in my last few years of school.  If there is an obvious grade drop or trend they may look at it. I got into a program once I explained why my last three semesters GPA dropped (pain killers in my case).

I focused on the trend and gave reasons why the trend looked the way it did.  You can state the condition, I don't know why your adviser would say otherwise.  Keeping it general is important too, however.  Keep it simple and as brief as possible.  Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: FEEDBACK on gpa addendum - illness & full time work (EDITED)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 11:53:34 AM »
Well, if its a little disgusting she may have a point.  I was working in a law office once and a client wanted to include herpes as a reason to get benefit. They would have been better leaving that out and the guy evaluating the case caught it, citing that the judge doesn't want to hear about your STD, stay on point.

I said a car accident that required multiple surgeries over 4 years and the drugs involved were the contributory factor.  I mentioned pain killers I took for years after each surgery and how that corresponded to the GPA drop.  I had a pretty good GPA til my junior year and then was getting like Cs and Bs from As and Bs.  I didn't mention the specifics of the injuries (which were a little disgusting, I was messed up pretty bad) or the specific drugs (which varied from Ibuprofen to opiates because some surgeries were worse than others).

There is a book out that might give you a little insight: Law School Undercover.  There is a part of a chapter that addresses low GPA excuses.  The are no examples, however. 

Like with anything formal- direct, active, simple and short is the best strategy.  Good luck and unless you have a killer LSAT there isn't much you can do.  Applicants are screened by numbers first, so many school won't read the application packet unless the numbers are high enough.  So don't stress too much over your UGPA addendum.  Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."