Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: if PS includes background, what can i put in DS ?  (Read 517 times)

LovingLaw89

if PS includes background, what can i put in DS ?
« on: November 03, 2011, 11:24:33 PM »
Fears overcome?. I was thinking about writing about my dental phobia and how i got over them, but it wouldnt connect much with being a good law student.
Experiences interning? I interned at a nationally recognized news channel & a civil rights organization.

Anything else?

Also, is one page, double spaced good enough?

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
Re: if PS includes background, what can i put in DS ?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 11:49:09 PM »
http://www.lsac.org/JD/diversity/minorities-in-legal-education.asp

"We use the term diversity broadly to include all aspects of human differences, including but not limited to socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, language, nationality, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, geography, disability, and age."

Unless your dental phobia qualifies as a 'disability', I doubt that this qualifies as diverse, as defined by LSAC.
William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:02:45 PM »
Not trying to be mean, but dental phobia- really?  No one likes going to the dentist or court for that matter, its just part of life.  Sorry, not everything in life that we don't like doing is a phobia.  If it were I'd have a phobia of grocery shopping- most annoying thing ever. :)
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:04:41 PM »
The civil rights angle is good, btw. 
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

LovingLaw89

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 01:37:02 AM »
Does it matter if the internship was from 12-08 to 5-09?
Also how long is it suppose to be? One page double spaced?

& my phobia story is compelling but I guess admissions dont want to hear that

LovingLaw89

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 01:42:06 AM »
Not trying to be mean, but dental phobia- really?  No one likes going to the dentist or court for that matter, its just part of life.  Sorry, not everything in life that we don't like doing is a phobia.  If it were I'd have a phobia of grocery shopping- most annoying thing ever. :)

No it's not that I didn't like going and that I was so scared that after avoiding the dentist for 12 years I went finally and hyperventilated and started crying n I threw up .. (I know) and this was during a cleanning!!

Anyways I got over it and now my teeth are fixed!

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 09:02:08 AM »
The usual standard is three pages double spaced, but I've seen a few schools limit it to two pages so I would keep it under three.  Just remember make it easy to read.  Admissions people get sick of reading the same crap over and over (I'd imagine).  I'm not sure why you would think 2008 is a problem.  Too long ago?  If anything its a good thing because it shows a pattern.  And 2008 wasn't that long ago, its fine.

Don't sweat too much over your ps.  Depending on you LSAT and where you apply respectively, it may not even be read.  Remember, some schools get thousands of apps and like ten people that review them- all applicants start to look the same after awhile. 

LovingLaw89

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 03:36:36 PM »
Thanks for your reply but i think you described how a Personal Statement should be, not a diversity statement.
I couldnt find examples of good diversity statements online. Are they only 1 page double spaced? Should they follow the same format as your PS (if its 1.5 spaced)?

Thanks and yes i think i might write about my experience interning at the civil rights organization.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »
Ha, sorry bud.  You re right.  I should read through the whole title next time :).  Try Ivy files and TLS.  There has to be examples somewhere.

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 09:21:01 AM »
Try this link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/paul-pless-interview.html

Asst Dean Paul Pless addresses the DS issue in a TopLawSchools.com interview...

"TLS: Does Illinois accept diversity statements if one didn't initially send one along with the expected personal statement? Would you recommend doing that?

If you think you have something else to add to your file that is relevant to our decision, sure. Make sure it is concise."
William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis