Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GED; law school admission  (Read 254 times)

jjones8479

• View Profile
GED; law school admission
« on: November 02, 2011, 04:06:25 PM »
Hi all,

I am going to throw a lot at you, but please try and work with me.

I am a 24 year old African American male who received a G.E.D. in 2006. I subsequently attended a community college for a year, then transferred to a small private liberal arts college. I studied peace and justice studies with minors in political science and religious studies. I recently graduated with a GPA of 3.15, while simultaneously being actively involved in the community. My LSAT score is 153. This is all good, but I have five withdrawals. No F's, just W's. Three of the W's I retook and got B, B, and B+. All the W's were in my first two semesters at the liberal arts college. The W's are a result of three things. Firstly, when I entered college I literally did not no how to read or write; this was very difficult for me. Secondly, I was very sick. My doctor discovered a tumor on my thyroid and I have recently received the necessary treatment. Thirdly, I was very poor, sometimes living out of my car and not able to feed myself. Put in perspective with my community involvement being top-notch, which I have received many awards from, and that I am a founder of a small community based non-profit organization, do you think I have a chance of getting into law school? In addition, what law schools do you think I should apply too?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
Re: GED; law school admission
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 10:33:44 AM »
IN MY OPINION, There are definitely plenty of law schools that you could get into.  Especially considering the fact that you  are a URM, you'll even be able to get into a school better than your numbers alone would imply.  That will certainly give you a boost.

The other factor is how apparent the hardship you have over come is.  In this short post alone it is evident that you have had to fight to make it where you are today.  If I were you, I would really concentrate on putting together a great Personal Statement and Diversity Statement.  Sometimes people say they don't have that great of an influence, but with a story like yours I would guess it would be noticed by more than one admissions board out there.

I'm not going to even try to guess where you could get into, I'll let you use the variety of admission chances calculators out there for that.  But like I said, it is alone guaranteed that with your URM and story that you will be able to get into a better school than someone with your numbers who doesn't have the same background.  So for now stay optimistic!

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
Re: GED; law school admission
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 10:40:26 AM »
According to Law School Numbers, last year a URM with your same numbers got into Howard, Southwestern, Hofstra, New York, Syracuse and Chicago-Kent.