Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GED; law school admission  (Read 1287 times)

jjones8479

• View Profile
GED; law school admission
« on: November 02, 2011, 04:05:09 PM »
Hi all,

I am going to throw a lot at you, but please try and work with me.

I am a 24 year old African American male who received a G.E.D. in 2006. I subsequently attended a community college for a year, then transferred to a small private liberal arts college. I studied peace and justice studies with minors in political science and religious studies. I recently graduated with a GPA of 3.15, while simultaneously being actively involved in the community. My LSAT score is 153. This is all good, but I have five withdrawals. No F's, just W's. Three of the W's I retook and got B, B, and B+. All the W's were in my first two semesters at the liberal arts college. The W's are a result of three things. Firstly, when I entered college I literally did not no how to read or write; this was very difficult for me. Secondly, I was very sick. My doctor discovered a tumor on my thyroid and I have recently received the necessary treatment. Thirdly, I was very poor, sometimes living out of my car and not able to feed myself. Put in perspective with my community involvement being top-notch, which I have received many awards from, and that I am a founder of a small community based non-profit organization, do you think I have a chance of getting into law school? In addition, what law schools do you think I should apply too?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: GED; law school admission
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 11:36:29 PM »
The GED won't make any difference I don't think schools care much about your high school. As far as the W's again most schools don't care about that either. Your status as an African American or URM gives you a big leg up over most applicants. I with URM status a 3.15 and 153 you have a shot at many schools and will likely be offered scholarship money at some. With a 3.15 153 Harvard, Yale are not in the running, but many ABA schools would likely be happy to have you.

The best place to look for potential law school admissions is lawschoolnumbers.com. You can see what numbers got in where and whether they were a URM or not. You can also get a feel for how much scholarship money you might get.

Another way thing that is good to do if your applying next cycle is sign up for an LSAC Forum. I went to one of these and wrote my LSAC number down at almost every schools table and got 15 fee waivers, which saved me 1,000 or so bucks in application fees. I also think it is a slight plus when applying if you stopped by their booth. A minimal boost granted, but it might do something and more importantly you will have money on fee waivers.

I think you have a great shot of getting into A law school not sure where, but if you get everything together I am willing to bet you will end up a J.D. good luck.

jjones8479

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:47:12 PM »
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the advice.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:50:47 PM »
Don't have much to add to what Biggs said, but I think you're going to do great.  You've come a long way and you've got a lot of runway ahead of you.   I'll be surprised if you don't do well.

ipscientific

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 10:35:03 PM »
Hi all,

I am going to throw a lot at you, but please try and work with me.

I am a 24 year old African American male who received a G.E.D. in 2006. I subsequently attended a community college for a year, then transferred to a small private liberal arts college. I studied peace and justice studies with minors in political science and religious studies. I recently graduated with a GPA of 3.15, while simultaneously being actively involved in the community. My LSAT score is 153. This is all good, but I have five withdrawals. No F's, just W's. Three of the W's I retook and got B, B, and B+. All the W's were in my first two semesters at the liberal arts college. The W's are a result of three things. Firstly, when I entered college I literally did not no how to read or write; this was very difficult for me. Secondly, I was very sick. My doctor discovered a tumor on my thyroid and I have recently received the necessary treatment. Thirdly, I was very poor, sometimes living out of my car and not able to feed myself. Put in perspective with my community involvement being top-notch, which I have received many awards from, and that I am a founder of a small community based non-profit organization, do you think I have a chance of getting into law school? In addition, what law schools do you think I should apply too?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

I would go for it. My advice is to believe in yourself and go for it. We all have history. Yours is yours and that is what makes you special.