Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mormon Mission in PS?  (Read 405 times)

ScubaSteveOh

• View Profile
Mormon Mission in PS?
« on: November 01, 2011, 08:44:15 PM »
I know that religion is not a good topic for a PS, especially one that people often view in a negtaive light. My reason for wanting to write about this is because I learned Spanish halfway through the two year mission in an 'on-the-job' fashion without the typical language training that most missionaries get.

If I were to stay away from any doctrinal type stuff and only talk about my experiences having to pick up on the language a little each day, would this be acceptable? It is really my best bet at an intriguing narrative.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mormon Mission in PS?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:02:37 PM »
I know that religion is not a good topic for a PS, especially one that people often view in a negtaive light. My reason for wanting to write about this is because I learned Spanish halfway through the two year mission in an 'on-the-job' fashion without the typical language training that most missionaries get.

If I were to stay away from any doctrinal type stuff and only talk about my experiences having to pick up on the language a little each day, would this be acceptable? It is really my best bet at an intriguing narrative.

I think that's good stuff.  Maybe don't mention the mission part so much.  However, the fact that you lived abroad for two years and used the time to hone your skills in a second language is an absolute must-mention.

ScubaSteveOh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:35:12 PM »
Thank you

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 10:17:05 PM »
what did you do on the mission?  dig wells?  build schools?  If you did that stuff, I say mention it.  If all you did was ride bicycles wearing black raincoats, I wouldn't mention that part so much.

justanothersucker

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 12:05:22 PM »
Volunteer to work on Mitt Romneys campains legal team.

ScubaSteveOh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
Haha, I may or may not have the same political views as Romney. I do agree that political volunteer work would be good on my resume, but it is too late for resume boosters at this point in the game.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 07:14:22 PM »
Mormonism is viewed badly?  I never heard that.  Missionary work, i.e. helping the poor and learning a new language, can make for a solid PS.  As long as your don't preach, no admissions people should care about your religious background.  Except maybe Regent. 
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."