Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting Along With Other Students  (Read 521 times)

Ringside74

• View Profile
    • Email
Getting Along With Other Students
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
I feel like a social outcast at my school. I try really hard to be friendly and talk to the other students, but they've become really cliquish into their study groups. It's something that I'm not really used to because I used to be one of the most sociable people on my undergraduate campus. I don't know what's going on, but I really want to remedy the situation and at least feel like I can get along with these people.

- Ringside

justanothersucker

Re: Getting Along With Other Students
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »
I'm assuming its a lawschool. That would make it a big place. In 1L I mostly stayed in with the people I matriculated with and branched out more in 2L. If you don't like your matriculating class, hang out with groups you do like. Go to group meetings. For example, most schools have clubs for different hobbies in lawschool. Join one of those. That way you will be surrounded by people with simular hobbies.

All else fails, hit the bar. Townie hoodies need love too.  ;)
(if you are a female student-fill in barhags with Truckers/laid off teamsters)

Duncanjp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Getting Along With Other Students
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 03:03:00 AM »
I feel like a social outcast at my school. I try really hard to be friendly and talk to the other students, but they've become really cliquish into their study groups. It's something that I'm not really used to because I used to be one of the most sociable people on my undergraduate campus. I don't know what's going on, but I really want to remedy the situation and at least feel like I can get along with these people.

- Ringside

You don't say whether you're a 1L or what, but I would focus on doing well and worry about making friends later. Every class is full of cliquish people. Don't worry about them. Good grades are worth a lot more than getting into somebody's smarmy little clique. Get good grades, show up for class ready to brief any of the cases if called upon, and don't try so hard to be friendly. I mean, there's nothing worse than somebody who latches onto you, desperate to be your friend. Just learn to ace the exams and go about your business. Friendships will follow.