Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.7 GPA and 146 LSAT  (Read 2921 times)

swinemiller

• View Profile
3.7 GPA and 146 LSAT
« on: October 25, 2011, 06:29:58 PM »
Hi everyone! I received my score for my first attempt at the LSAT and I got a 146. My undergrad GPA is 3.7....I'm trying to decide if I should try and take the LSAT again and get a higher score, or if I should apply to a school that will accept me, do well and transfer to a better school...but I don't know how easy it is to do that or what schools will take transfers... I need advice PLEASE!!!! (and thank you!)

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.7 GPA and 146 LSAT
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
A 3.7 GPA would indicate that you are capable of a drastically higher LSAT score than 146.  I would encourage you to study hard and retake.

What were you scoring on practice tests?

swinemiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:29:54 PM »
I was scoring around 150-155 on practice tests but, I know I could have studied more. I was working constantly the last two months before the test, which I know probably didn't help. I am in a bit of a different situation right now (still working, but without the stress of having to afford my house all alone) but I'm worried that it won't change much... I feel like I am definitely in a position where studying will be easier to fit in than it was before. I was thinking of retaking it in December, though a few people have told me to take it in Feb to give myself more time. However, I don't want to put myself in a position where I will have to wait a whole additional year to attend law school...I am just so torn.

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »
I can't know all your facts, of course, but I don't see much of a decision here.  With a 147 you will not get into the kind of school that you are capable of, and you will spend a whole lot of money on a degree that will not be as valuable as it could be and should be.  Instead, you will get a degree that may not be of much help getting a job. 

And, of course, given the current economic climate for law school graduates: (1) a delay isn't a bad thing, as this will give the economy another year to recover before you graduate, and (2) it is more important than ever to attend the best law school you can.

Take the year, study properly, and score 165.  Then apply to T14 schools.  In the meantime, do something useful - other than studying for the LSAT, which you should take very seriously - that will help you both substantively and on paper.

Good luck.

swinemiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 08:13:27 PM »
Thanks for the perspective! There's something about hearing it from a complete stranger that makes things make the most sense.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 02:52:42 PM »
Morten gives good advice and is right in a lot of ways, but I just wanted to expand on a few things. You are the only who can really know if you did everything you could do and  received a 146. If you studied your ass off and got a 146 then that might be the best you can do. Not everybody is capable of getting a 170 or 175 that is why receiving a score like that is in the 90th percentile. If everyone could get a 170+ score they would and numerous students wouldn't be dissatisfied with their LSAT courses. I know some people had enormous jumps, but when you take your diagnostic test odds are you can improve 10-15 points from that with proper study. It is possible to improve less or more though, but at the end of the day you are the only one that knows if you gave it your best shot.

If you showed up hungover on the day of the test then obviously retake. If you studied as hard you could then maybe stay where your at. As far as your GPA is concerned I don't know how much relevance it has on your LSAT score. My GPA measured by LSAC  a 3.5, but it was based on b.s. because I played basketball and got A's in Theory of Basketball, Varsity Conditioning, Weightlifting and so on resulting in 20+ units if free A's that inflated by GPA. Law school admissions and U.S. News don't care how you got your GPA they look solely at the number, which can be easily manipulated so I don't know much of an indicator GPA is towards your LSAT score.

If you had a 3.7 from Harvard in Nuclear Physics then you can probably can do better than a 146. If you got a highly inflated GPA like mine then I don't think you can use your GPA as any basis for measuring LSAT success. Realistically, even if you got a 3.7 in Nuclear Physics the LSAT is a specialized test that seems to test your ability to think fast at least in my opinion.

I will close with your statement of not wanting to wait another year for law school, I think you are right. I have known many many people that WANT to go to law school and took the LSAT canceled, rescheduled a retake, and so on. I knew one girl that messed with the LSAT for 3 years and  just could not be satisfied with her score. I don't know what happened to her, but she could have graduated and passed the bar in the three years she had spent trying to improve her LSAT score. She was putting her whole life on hold not wanting to commit to any job etc, because she was eventually going to law school as soon as she got the "RIGHT" score. For all I know she may still be studying and she could have graduated passed the bar and been practicing law for 2 years by now.  That is an extreme sample, but aside from putting that type of situation the  the longer you wait the likelier it is for life to get in the way.

I don't have any idea what your age etis, but another example of someone putting it off is a friend who wanted to go to law school took the LSAT got a decent score, but wanted to do better. He rescheduled, but then got offered a job making decent money as a salesman making 60-70k.  He has been doing that for three years now. He neither hates or  love his job, but I find it unlikely he will ever go to law school now. That might be better for him who knows, but maybe he will regret not going who knows point is life can get in the way. If law school is something you REALLY want to do, you should apply and retake so you have the option of starting law school next Fall. If you retake in December and pull a 170 then maybe hold off, because you will have a lot better options in the next cycle,  but if you get another 146-150 so on then why put off going to school for another year. If on the retakes you are receiving similar scores you will have just put off school for another year to be in the same spot.

Sorry for the long rant, but just wanted to give my two cents.

swinemiller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 03:07:58 AM »
I definitely did not have the chance to study as much as I could have. In fact, in the few days since I received my score, I've purchased a few more practice tests and books and figured out some things that I wish I would have known prior to taking it earlier this month. I'm 25 now, not too old, but not getting any younger. I took three years off after high school and, while I was able to get in some real work experience (meaning, at a "real job" in an office working for a company involved in the legal world) I already feel that I am behind, which is part of the reason I don't want to wait any longer. I'm tired of spinning my wheels already!!!

My degree is in Justice Administration. I know that some CJ undergrad programs aren't exactly difficult, but I can assure you that I WORKED for that 3.7. I've gone to school full time (sometimes up to 22 credit hrs a semester) while working full time, with the occasional part time job thrown in on top of all of that. Luckily, school has always been something I've thoroughly enjoyed...it helps too that doing well academically comes natural to me. That being said, I know that I am completely capable of doing better...

Which brings me to the present. I am in a bit of a different situation now than I was a month ago. Without going into too much detail, I will just say that I have far more time to study now that I did before... I've decided to take it again, but now I'm just questioning whether to take it in December or just wait until February. My school offers an intense accelerated Masters program in CJ that I have been looking into. If I decide to wait another year, I will most likely pursue that in the mean time as further education certainly will not hurt my cause. There's no question that I want to go into law so there's no danger of me straying into another occupation and being my any means satisfied with that...

On another note, I wish I would have discovered this site long before taking my first stab at the LSAT because there is a lot of good advice!

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 01:59:24 PM »
I'm sure you will figure it out. In regards to your December/February dilemma I don't think you have anything to lose my taking them both times. Most schools don't average and simply take your highest score. If there is any school or schools you are specifically interested in verify that, but if the schools your interested in don't average you might as well take it as many times as you can. You have nothing to lose if you do worse and everything to gain if you improve.

Looking back I wish I would have realized that just to see where my full potential was. I took it once and thought that was it, but you really have nothing to lose by taking it as many times in a cycle as you can. With that said you can simply apply with your current numbers for the Fall and almost every application I filled out has a box that lets you say I am retaking. I don't think they will reject you until your new scores are in and you can have your application on file ready to go. This way you can start in Fall if your score doesn't improve dramatically. If you get a 160+ score on your next retake then hold off because with a 3.7 160+ you will be offered a lot of scholarship money at various schools. Putting of school for a year to save 60-80k on tuition is worth it, but if you get a another 146-150 type score you can still start in Fall. Again just my two cents and I'm sure people will have a different views on it.

swinemiller

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »
My #1 choice apparently takes your highest score into consideration unless the tests are clustered together, then they take the average....but what does clustered together mean? Would that mean if I took the October and December? If I skip a testing date and do October and February, would that be considered clustered? I wish they would be more clear....most of the other schools I've looked at take the highest score. I am definitely taking it again.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 12:29:54 AM »
Yea you have nothing to lose, but 100 dollars and considering your going to make a 100,000 3 year commitment that 100 bucks is money well spent. As far as what clustered together means I would simply call the admissions office they know whats up and they are always very friendly since your a potential paying customer. Well good luck and hopefully everything works out.