Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: URM applying to UT Law... Great service to UT undergrad, Mediocre LSAT/GPA  (Read 1676 times)

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey folks,

I speak on behalf of my boyfriend and I who are both Mexican American and who came out of the LSAT with lower scores than what we wanted.

General Stats for Him: 158 LSAT 3.37 GPA
General Stats for Me: 155 LSAT 3.35 GPA

We both have long lists of service to the university through extra curricular activities and work hours. I heard the ONLY way for us to even think about getting into UT is that we are URM students. Is this so? Don't worry about being too frank with me; I appreciate any and all honesty.

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Using last year's numbers on LSN, it looks to be out-of-reach. But if you've got the application fee and a compelling story, it can't hurt to go for it.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for the reply! Application fee, certainly. The story I have is definitely not as moving as perhaps the one of my bf (his mother died recently and plans to write about that). I on the other hand am writing about my time being involved in extra curricular activity, specifically a time when I had to debate a contentious topic in our student government general assembly meeting. How's that sound?

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I heard the ONLY way for us to even think about getting into UT is that we are URM students. Is this so?/quote]

Sounds like it may be close enough to the truth.

• View Profile
    • Email
So if you guys had to guess, would you say that the UT admissions people won't even get to see my resume? Or if they do, will the stop at the GPA and throw me into the "probably not" pile ? I wish they could see all the things I have done in UT undergrad but I'm pretty skeptical that they actually care. (Sigh)

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
So if you guys had to guess, would you say that the UT admissions people won't even get to see my resume? Or if they do, will the stop at the GPA and throw me into the "probably not" pile ? I wish they could see all the things I have done in UT undergrad but I'm pretty skeptical that they actually care. (Sigh)

if you were not a URM, they'd can your application just on the numbers, IMHO.  I have no idea how URM admissions go, though.  Maybe they look more at the "whole person".  Depends on how many URM applicants they get.  If they get a lot, they'll filter by numbers, first.

• View Profile
    • Email
Yeah, I've never heard of how the "URM" process goes... anyone know about how this goes?

Also, would applying ED to UT help, or would the apps probably just go into the RD pile?

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: URM applying to UT Law... Great service to UT undergrad, Mediocre LSAT/GPA
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 10:02:28 PM »
You don't think applications are canned for low numbers in a world where law schools get 3000 applications 200 of which have an LSAT of 143?  Wow, I wish I lived in your world- delusional or not looks like a happy place. :)
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: URM applying to UT Law... Great service to UT undergrad, Mediocre LSAT/GPA
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »
Oh, I love ads.  Nothing more American than ads.  Keep being a patriot.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."