Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have a BA in Business from UK, what do I do to go to law school in US?  (Read 539 times)

2theBar

• View Profile
Hi there,

I've decided on pursuing a law degree in the US. I'm a US citizen but have spent the last 4.5 years in England getting a BA in Business Management and working in sales. I'm pretty burnt out from sales and have decided to do something less monotonous and more steady in terms of salary and check out law. So basically I'm wondering, what do I need to do to prepare for law school? Are there certain classes/units I need to get before I apply?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: I have a BA in Business from UK, what do I do to go to law school in US?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 04:44:56 PM »
If it's "something less monotonous and more steady in terms of salary" I don't think law is going to help you. Law jobs in the US are harder to come by than a legal education, and when you get one, "monotonous" is an excellent description. Specifically, why do you want to be a lawyer?
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 10:01:18 PM »
Hi there,

I've decided on pursuing a law degree in the US. I'm a US citizen but have spent the last 4.5 years in England getting a BA in Business Management and working in sales. I'm pretty burnt out from sales and have decided to do something less monotonous and more steady in terms of salary and check out law. So basically I'm wondering, what do I need to do to prepare for law school? Are there certain classes/units I need to get before I apply?

Thanks

Your English BA plus the LSAT should be sufficient to apply to law schools. So I'd recommend a LSAT prep course of some sort.

I canvR never understand the part about attorneys being unemployed, they can immediately go into solo practice unlike England which it makes it tough on solo practitioners.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 11:05:02 AM »
Hi there,

Thanks

As Jonlevy said, no biggie here.  Take the LSAT (which everybody has to do, anyway), come to the States.  See which schools accept you.  If you're a US citizen, fill out the financial aid paperwork if you need financial aid.  That's pretty much it.  No required prerequisite classes or anything of the sort.  Just get an LSAT and check the other requirements (like a personal statement, etc.) and go.  Best of luck.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 12:07:15 PM »
It is doable.  You'll need a transcript evaluation, and that can take months.
Law schools seem to like econ, math, history and english majors, but any degree is fine.  The LSAT score is hugely important and that will be your gauge for where you can apply.  Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."