Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why? Dear God Why?  (Read 2345 times)

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why? Dear God Why?
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 07:25:53 PM »
Phoenix affiliate, "I'll give you this card if you sign this paper and fill out this form, its ok if you can't read, I'll help you through it."

Homeless person, "Cool, done and done I'm hungry."

Now he is enrolled, the affiliate get the commission, the homeless person gets a sandwich, and Phoenix gets 20k tuition from financial aid.  The homeless guy doesn't have a computer or plan on attending or paying the loan back.  It was a scam- pissed off the feds to no end, justly.  They tightened or reemphasized their requirements after that so at least %70 of grads (or something like that, maybe its %80) has to be in repayment and not default.  Don't you remember the scandal?  It wasn't that long ago and a tea partier's wet dream.  ;)     

No one was trying to help anyone- just get money.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

LincolnLover

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 07:32:15 PM »
That's nuts. In theory next time they could just do it to the vets since they don't have to pay back GI bill anyways and homeless have a large veteran population.

Phoenix affiliate, "I'll give you this card if you sign this paper and fill out this form, its ok if you can't read, I'll help you through it."

Homeless person, "Cool, done and done I'm hungry."

Now he is enrolled, the affiliate get the commission, the homeless person gets a sandwich, and Phoenix gets 20k tuition from financial aid.  The homeless guy doesn't have a computer or plan on attending or paying the loan back.  It was a scam- pissed off the feds to no end, justly.  They tightened or reemphasized their requirements after that so at least %70 of grads (or something like that, maybe its %80) has to be in repayment and not default.  Don't you remember the scandal?  It wasn't that long ago and a tea partier's wet dream.  ;)     

No one was trying to help anyone- just get money.

artsci10

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Lower cost of education in Canada a result of two simple factors:
1) De facto absence of for-profit universities. There are a couple out west, but its seen as a mark against you if you have a degree from a private university in Canada. Every major Canadian University, including all the ones that have law schools are public.
2) Government funding. Not as big of a factor in law school, but undergrad in Canada is subsidized over 60% by the federal and provincial governments. As a result, tuition at Canada's best school is as low as $5,000/year in BA  or BSc programs (a bit higher in business or engineering).

Canadian view access to education with a different mindset than Americans. There's a mentality of 'if you get the grades, you get to go' and government-funded grants and zero-interest loans make higher education a reality for anyone who deserves it.