Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If I would of known then what I now now.  (Read 1462 times)

JaneDoeLawStudent

• View Profile
If I would of known then what I now now.
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:18:02 PM »
Just to share a feeling so anyone contemplating attending a 4 tier school will understand the thought process of those all ready in rolled.  A group of students today were talking about WHY. Why they came to law school.  Many said: "to find a professional career," "to make a lot of money," and a single mom said "to secure my future."  Sadly, she explained that she does not fell more secure by attaining her law degree.  She said he feels less secure than ever.  Everyone in the group agreed whether it was to have a professional career, make a lot of money, or to be secure we have debt up to our eyeballs and no security.

I came to law school looking to secure my future, and all I find is a mountain of debt coupled with a mountain of insecurity.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: If I would of known then what I now now.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 07:49:41 AM »
Take heart.  You've got very valid feelings.  However, it's bad for everyone right now.  If you think you feel insecure, try being a middle aged middle manager in this economy.  Of course, just because somebody else has it worse is no rationale to say you have it good.  Just saying, things are difficult and they always were. 

You've got choices, you've got options.  Get out there and hustle.  Practice the law, even if you have to do it for free.  Eventually you will build up a practice and a career.  It's hard to be enthusiastic about that, now, but if you do, you'll see that this works.  Not much else does.

As for the debt, yeah, that's a crappy situation.  However, as the board's resident old fart, I'll say this:  later in life you'll look back with some nostalgia at the time when you were young and the only problems you had centered around money.

Sometime in your life, I bet you buy a new car that involves a note that's as big as your student loan debt. 

These problems you're facing are real and considerable, but surmountable.

Unless your undegrad degree was in petroleum engineering or some other highly marketable discipline you'd probably not be better off to have skipped law school.  Just do what you can.  Take one step at a time.  One day at a time if you have to.  Just keep moving forward and don't wallow in self-pity.

Good luck.  You're not alone in this.  You will come out of this strong and prosperous.  Trust me on this:  things will work out in the end.  We just don't know how, yet.

justanothersucker

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »
two thing to always remember

-income based student loan repayment option

-That job at DQ will still be open, and if isn't then it wouldn't have been if you'd spend the 3 years smoking rocks and rolling dice anyways.

Even the great depression ended. It might get worse, but we all end up dead in a few more years anyways. At least they have a few extra letters to type on our tombstones eh?  :P

woodstock148

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:23:18 PM »
Just to help you out for the future... the correct grammar for your title would be "would HAVE known then...." not "would of"
take care