Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Criminal History / Personal Statement  (Read 1355 times)

akronite08

Criminal History / Personal Statement
« on: October 18, 2011, 12:34:47 AM »
-

justanothersucker

Re: Criminal History / Personal Statement
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 09:49:52 PM »
Your biggest problem will be that you don't seem to be able to learn from your mistakes. Granted, all different crimes, but one felony  a decade old is viewed better than 3 arrests. At a certain point society just gives up on you.

That being said, it was prior to law school. So C&F may be ok with you. Just stop being so selfish and self rightous.
You don't get your license taken away for just speeding. It happens for either a LOT of tickets, or a reckless. Either way, don't down plain it, it's huge. Treat it as huge.

The Repeat school probation should say it all right there. "but it was the #1 party school" "but it was harmless"

Be honest, and you should be fine. The reason for the harshness above is this, if you stay clean and don't down play it, you will be ok. If you do either downplay it or worse(and very likely based on your history) get arrested or license revoked again while in lawschool.......you can expect a delay in getting your license. Just focus on that.

want to know why? Most lawyers who get their license revoked do so for doing things they view as "harmless". MPRE- it's fun.

akronite08

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 12:34:03 AM »
-

justanothersucker

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »
As long as you make your personal statement sound like your #2 post on the topic, you should be fine.  ;)

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 04:12:20 PM »
Don't put any criminal history in your ps.  Only in the addendum, nowhere else.  Misdemeanors aren't usually a problem unless they are fraud/character related.  I had a buddy who was in law school and had three or four convictions- all misdemeanor, a DUI and a few public intox from undergrad, I think.  He was fine and like you had a killer LSAT.

You'll be ok, just don't focus on it so much.  Your ps is an explanation of why you want to go to law school, not why you shouldn't be denied.

How your post comes off as selfish or self-righteous, I can't even guess.  Your here asking for help to a question, impossible to do without being selfish.  You're trying to justify a problem, impossible to do without being a little self-righteous.  Some people will judge you based on the "morality" of the convictions, my advice to that- ignore them, they can't be objective.  The admissions people will be more objective than subjective, at least they should me.

There are a few older posts where people are asking the same question, or worse- there is a felony.  They are on LSD somewhere, sorry I can't remember where.  Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

justanothersucker

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 06:59:41 PM »
not only are you too lazy to look stuff up on your own, you can't even read the posters posts before responding to them? Seriously? WTF?

-He PLANS on getting a high lsat score. That's like PLANNING to make $200K day one at your first job. It could happen, probably won't just because you wished for it though.

Learn to read man......geeze.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 10:14:28 PM »
See my previous reference to dumbasss.  You were lawyerintraining, weren't you?  I recognized the emphasis on the irrelevant and the logical fallacies abound.  I know he said plan, but its irrelevant to his question.  You're one serious idiot. Maybe you should tone down the aggression. 

OP- I found a link that has addendum examples, this one isn't relevant to you, but there may be one that is somewhere.  I wouldn't pay for these services, but they post examples:

http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2011/10/addendum_essays_sweet_talking_and_judgment

Good luck, buddy.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

akronite08

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 05:08:08 PM »
-