Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Way to Learn Civ Pro?  (Read 2942 times)

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best Way to Learn Civ Pro?
« on: October 17, 2011, 01:34:03 PM »
The casebook is just not doing it for me.

Anybody have tips on the best way to learn civ pro?  (Pleading and practice).

justanothersucker

Re: Best Way to Learn Civ Pro?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 01:37:09 PM »
Q&A's helped me. Does your Prof let it be open rule book on the exam? If so, then don't bother trying to memorise what you are allowed to look at during the exam. If not, you damn well better.

Here is an outline that may help.

http://www.lawschool.westlaw.com   (twen)

Click on their free 1L outlines. CivPro is one of them if I recall correctly.

justanothersucker

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 02:04:29 PM »
I never paid for any myself. I saw that sumo has free ones too.
Honestly, Cali Lessons should be your best friend right now. They might get the rep of being over rated, but they spoon feed it to you and then test it to you as well. Stick with those untill you got it down. If you don't get 100% on Cali, you are wasting money going anywhere else untill you do.

Also, can you get ahold of your Profs old exams and answer keys?

DaRaiders

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:20:35 PM »
If you are looking for supplements, may I suggest the below:

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Procedure-2nd-Richard-Freer/dp/0735578303/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318878525&sr=1-1

It is written with 1Ls in mind. In my opinion, it explains Civ Pro in a manner that helps ties everything together - particularly his discussions on personal jurisdiction. He also conducts the Civ Pro lectures for NY BarBri (at least when I took the course), which are also clear and concise like the book.

If you use the Marcus casebook for class, relevant cases are also discussed in some detail.

It has a hefty price tag, but you might be able to find it in the library.

justanothersucker

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 03:27:07 PM »
I agree with the last statement of the above poster. Go to your school library. Lots of nutshells and treatesies and other help guides should be there to use.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 07:51:37 PM »
you study thoroughly...

I was really hoping somebody who can't construct a sentence in English would come here and bestow their manifest wisdom on me.  I'm sure to get an A, now.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:57:58 AM »
I used this (Freer audio supplament) and it nailed it for me.  Believe it or not he is actually entertaining, but expalins it so it makes sense - I STILL remember his explanation for special damages using an example of a man pleading special damages b/c he got hit by a car and nerve damage gave him a permanent erection... commented that his wife would be pushing him in front of cars.  Without hesitation I would recommend that you buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Procedure-School-Legends-Audio/dp/0314199780/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320677587&sr=8-1

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 07:44:50 PM »
you study thoroughly...

I was really hoping somebody who can't construct a sentence in English would come here and bestow their manifest wisdom on me.  I'm sure to get an A, now.

hey--could happen.

InterAlia1961

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
    • View Profile
    • The Daily Defacto
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »
The casebook is just not doing it for me.

Anybody have tips on the best way to learn civ pro?  (Pleading and practice).

Apparently, you're having difficulty learning civ pro, and you're concerned that the method of delivery isn't helping you to understand the material. So, how do you learn? Are you a visual learner who needs charts, colors, and chunks of information? Obviously, you're having trouble with the traditional linear model. As you look for study aids, pay attention to those that are more visual and see if that helps.

Is this advice sage enough for you?
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' ~Arthur Clarke