Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: opinions please on felony for law school  (Read 2192 times)

unc23

• View Profile
opinions please on felony for law school
« on: October 15, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »
ok heres where i stand 172/3.38, when i was charged in 2006 with b&e that happened in 2001 @ 17 years old(in nc charged as adult) after my 23rd bday in 2006 was arrested and convicted in nov 2007, no record prior and since.  the da gave a plea agreement of no prison, the judge rejected due to the property value they claim was lost (around)1.6M, i was given the maximum 12 months in prison. ive spent almost all my resources on supposedly good lawyers and my case has been bounced back and forth through various courts and is still under appeal. Im hoping for an appeal best case outcome of it being dropped to misdemeanor or possibly getting a plea to conform with the new law in my state(http://ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/HTML/H641v4.html) i havent asked for a legal opinion on that new law either yet so if anyone knows anything about that as well.  I plan on disclosing this info fully in all apps but would like a realistic assessment of best case worst case admissions decisions/eventual character and fitness decisions. My goal for applying isnt high. any school will do, i just want to be able to learn enough to pass the bar, if all goes well i would want to defend people that were in the same boat as me who get raw deals

thanks

justanothersucker

Re: opinions please on felony for law school
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »
If under 18, even if charged as an adult you may still be able to get it set aside. Even adult felonies can be set aside, especially if under 18 when sentenced. Look into it, you may have more luck with that than getting it reversed.

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10557_expunge_kit.pdf     -Best shot.

http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/crime/thepardonprocess/index.cfm    -Second best option.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 01:06:10 AM »
Even expunged convictions need to be disclosed in most states.  FL is the only one I know of that does not.

Your LSAT is awesome.  Check lawschoolnumbers.com. I saw a guy with similar numbers who got into a few schools last cycle with two felonies.  I think he got into Houston.  I'm pretty sure he was rejected by Charlotte.  He applied to a ton of schools. Might 1) give you an idea of schools that would give you a shot and 2) you might try to reach out to him and ask for his research on it. Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:19:25 AM »
You can admit into law school and pass the bar, you previous record will not problem. Because law is business, it is not job. I wish your success.

I suggest that you ignore this post, and instead take the advice offered by fortook. 

Criminal pasts are no small matter to shrug off under any circumstance, and certainly not when dealing with a regulated profession like the law.  You are right to inquire, and right to be a little concerned.  It will come up - many times, for the rest of your life.  Be prepared.  But it need not preclude you from pursuing a career as a lawyer.

Good luck.

unc23

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 11:42:51 AM »
ive applied to 10 schools wish me luck

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 11:59:04 AM »
You'll get in to a few with numbers like that.  A convicted murderer is going to Tulane right now while he is on parole.  Of course it made the news a people were horrified, but it is possible.  Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 12:28:13 PM »
Wow, sorry, no advice here.

But a 1.6 million B&E when you were 17?  That didn't result in a conviction until 5 years later?  I'd buy you an evening's worth of beers to hear that story. 

Take this with a grain of salt, but wow, I'm thinking that'd be an attention grabbing personal statement.  Unfortunately, it might be held against you, but I sure know that once somebody opened with, "My life changed forever when I was convicted of breaking and entering in a 1.6 million dollar heist at the age of 17."  Might be a way to spin that and show your personal growth (after all, that was a decade ago.) 

At the least, maybe when you've made enough to retire as an attorney, you could write a novel based on your life.

Best of luck to you.

unc23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 11:23:21 AM »
got a voicemail from an admissions dean at one of the places i applied... i wonder is this a good or a bad thing before i call back any thoughts

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 11:35:16 AM »
got a voicemail from an admissions dean at one of the places i applied... i wonder is this a good or a bad thing before i call back any thoughts

Hahaha!  No way to know, but I'd figure it this way:  they don't have to call you to reject you.  They can do that with a letter.

Probably wants to ask you some questions.

justanothersucker

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 02:46:23 PM »
Call them back. Worst thing to do in that case is to do nothing.

Best of luck man. Hope it goes well.