Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U.S. News Ranking inefficent system doesn't only apply to law school article.  (Read 1452 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
http://infoproc.blogspot.com/2007/07/cooking-books-us-news-college-rankings.html

An article criticizing the formula of U.S News rankings for overall universities not law schools. Some interesting points I thought.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
I think U.S. news is far worse for undergrads than for law schools. It's pretty absurd to try to rank the U.S. Air Force Academy against Reed College.

At least with law schools, they are teaching the same basic curriculum.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I agree at least law schools have a similar curriculum and it is somewhat measurable although their formula makes little sense to me. However, this goes to my larger point of U.S. News ranking  everything  Hospitals, undergrads, law schools, pretty soon they will be choosing who plays in the BCS National Championship. I don't understand how a group of people in a magazine got together with no authority and made a list that everybody buys into.

Hospitals
http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings how do they rank a hospital?  I don't see the formula listed, but how can you rank a hospital? Why and How is UCSF a better or worse hosptial than Stanford?  It's absurd, but my friend is a doctor that works at a  "ranked" hospital and people fly from far off places often spending every dime they have to attend this "ranked"  hospital.  However, what U.S News thinks is a good hospital doesn't cure cancer. Thats what is really sad to him many people fly out thinking this hospital will cure their cancer, because it is "ranked" so they spend every penny they have to come to his hospital and generally people with terminal cancer die no matter what the hospital is "ranked". It is truly sad and no matter U.S. News ranks these hospitals there is not a cure for cancer yet. It is just sad there is no other way to put it, but that is an example of people making life altering decision based on these rankings that have no legitimate authority or methodology. People just blindly believe it and I always ask WHY?

It's just crazy how much power U.S. News has and people don't blink an eye at it. This is a just magazine offering an opinion to make some money, but people take it literally and make life altering choices such as what doctor to see, what school to go to, etc etc. I think it is really sad, but I can't do much more that rant about it and hopefully some people will see the absurdity of make life altering decisions based on what one magazine with no authority or legitimatize methodology thinks.

justanothersucker

why?

It's pretty absurd to try to rank the U.S. Air Force Academy against Reed College.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Because Air Force Academy prepares you for a military career. Reed College does not and I'm sure Air Force focuses on training pilots and enginneers while Reed College is a liberal arts school. They have completely different focuses and goals so it is pretty hard to conclude one is any better or worse than the other.

Just to show these B.S. ranking systems don't apply to education alone lets not forget Businessweek along with many other "ranking" magazines ranked Enron on the top of their charts only months before their collapse and the ensuing chaos that transpired. What formulas did Businessweek use to come to their ranking? They try to be as vague about that as possible.  http://www.businessweek.com/bw50/content/mar2002/a3776009.htm They did write this apology type article to make themselves look better and I'm sure they took down any site indicating they ever put Enron on the top of their list. Read the article and you can see they were caught off guard by companies exaggerating their numbers! It is pretty impressive that Businessweek did not even consider that companies might fudge their stats when the magazine doesn't check them. That is a like professor saying what grade do you think you deserve. This sentence is direct from the article. ."This year it became clear that some members of the class have been benefiting from grade inflation. The collapse of Enron Corp. has shed a harsh light on the aggressive accounting that was pumping up some bottom lines." No way didn't see that one coming Businessweek. We thought companies would just send us their most conservative estimates and not dare mislead the public. Nobody not even the Federal Government ever thought companies would do something so outrageous. Oh actually no they did the Federal Government to that realization 70 years ago and they created an entire entity to regulate the SEC, but Businessweek in their infinite wisdom could not have forseen that.

What is businessweek doing to fix something like this again? Direct from the article, "First, of course, we measure sales growth, earnings growth, and total shareholder return for each of the 500 companies. Because we want to capture the outfits that have staying power, we tally each of those categories for one- and three-year periods. To get a read on how well management is employing assets, we factor in net margins and return on equity, both for one year. If any data are unavailable, a company receives an "incomplete" in that category. Because it's easier for small companies to score bigger percentage gains, we weight the results by sales volume. This year, we increased the sales weighting somewhat. Add it all up and you get a ranking for each company, with the top 50 making up our honor roll."

A b.s. response that sounds good until you look in depth.  Is it gross sales growth, net sales growth, what about the debts they are incurring? You could go on and on with problems in there and they even acknowledge in the article some companies would look better using the formula than others.  I suppose you could measure dividends and so on, but maybe they are giving out dividends and barely able to make payroll to boost their ranking. No a company would never do something like that. It is just ridiculous I am pretty sure the SEC is not regulating businessweek and the ABA is certainly not regulating U.S. News. Nor should they it is a First Amendment Right to give your opinion, but it is up to people to realize hey these "rankings" put out by magazines don't be jack sh**.

These rankings in anything are ridiculous here is another doozy brought to my maxpreps.com the site that ranks every single high school in America and yes parents take this site seriously, but look at the blatant anomalies it produces. Cleveland lost to Chatsworth and has a worse overall record. Cleveland and Chatsworth are are in the same league, same area, etc and yet Cleveland is the 1,964 http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/cleveland-cavaliers-%28reseda,ca%29/basketball-winter-09-10/schedule.htm best in the country while Chatsworth is nearly 20,00 schools worse coming in at 3,771.http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/chatsworth-chancellors-%28chatsworth,ca%29/basketball-winter-09-10/schedule.htm

Again who is making these rankings some guys in Tahoe I believe. Yet they make rankings that go nationwide they made me a top 100 player without ever seeing me play and for the record I was should never have been anywhere near a top 100 player. I don't know why our country is so obsessed with rankings, but they are b.s. I could sit here and come up with an opinion about the best 100 restaurants, best 100 lamps, best 100 sports games, best 100 etc. I put in a glossy magazine put some numbers along with some buzz words and whoola people will thing Moses brought it from directly from the hill. It's absurd and I am just writing to point out it is all pretty much b.s., which I learned in high school when despite being ranked a top 100 player I routinely got my ass kicked. The ranking was created from b.s. and I didn't instantly get Lebron Muscles or Hops when they ranked me. I was still a big slow white guy.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Use Cooley's ranking system.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

munculitza

• View Profile
Yes, this ranking cannot apply to the law schools system. I am not fully qualified , only have a masters degree in criminal justice but it is enough to know most of the law system and how it works.