Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question for full time workers that are part-time law students  (Read 1126 times)

cb8179

• View Profile
    • Email
Question for full time workers that are part-time law students
« on: October 11, 2011, 10:24:58 AM »
I'm interested in hearing about the law school experience for those going part-time that are still working a demanding full-time job.

A little bit about me....My job is very stressful and I am going to school full-time for my bachelors now and am really having a tough time. I am getting my bachelors in Business Management because my company is paying for it, so my heart really isn't in the material. I have always been interested in law and have wanted to be an attorney since I was little. The thought of going to law school excites me and I am really interested in learning the law. I am wondering if the fact that I will potentially love the material will help negate some of the stress and irritability I am experiencing now with doing a full courseload and working a challenging job.

Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated!

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question for full time workers that are part-time law students
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 11:08:27 AM »
I am wondering if the fact that I will potentially love the material will help negate some of the stress and irritability I am experiencing now with doing a full courseload and working a challenging job.

My opinion, not at all.  Having studied business extensively and the law a little bit, it's not that different.  It's different, but it's still school and the subjects aren't totally inconsistent with each other.  (In fact, a lot of the subjects are identical and some schools allow law students to take b-school classes for credit and vice versa.)  If you hate studying business, you'll hate studying the law, IMHO. 

justanothersucker

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »
MOST law classes are Business related. (torts,contracts,BusOrgs,SecTrans,Sales,etc) .
You should also consider a joint MBA/JD if you plan to do it for Business. I don't recommend that option to most people, but if your good at business courses, that would get a decent check of your MBA to count towards your JD.

cb8179

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 09:15:32 AM »
Thank you both for the input, I appreciate it!

In thinking more about business school, it's not that I hate the material, I just feel that I've been working really hard towards a degree that won't really have any impact on my current pay level or status. It has always been about the bigger picture of graduating with a bachelors in whatever just so I can fulfill my true dream of going to law school. I feel like when I am going to law school I may look at the stress of it differently since I will finally be working towards achieving a goal I've always wanted. I feel like that now, but I know it may be much different when I'm actually doing it...

justanothersucker

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 12:00:07 PM »
Most Joint MBA/JD let you enroll as late as the last credit(if not yet enrolled in that said last credit) so if you prefer the MBA over the JD start there. I know in the JD, they don't let you start MBA classes untill 2L anyways and I suspect MBA have a simular rule. My point  being, if you enroll in the MBA and like it alone, stay the course. If you catch yourself thinking, dang I wish I had a JD too, then that option will be there up untill almost the last minute.

I say start with the one you want the most(appears to be MBA for you) and then branch out latter(if at all). That seems like your best option.