Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In desperate need of some advice!  (Read 465 times)

nothingmuch

• View Profile
    • Email
In desperate need of some advice!
« on: October 01, 2011, 11:37:21 AM »
I'm a 1L at a school in Boston right now, but am originally from New Jersey. I suffer from a chronic illness that has been getting increasingly worse since I've gotten here. I'm considering withdrawing to go back home, since I have no real family or help here but definitely don't want to abandon the idea of law school altogether. If I were to withdraw and start reapplying to schools in New Jersey (that I was denied from last year), how much will withdrawing from this current program weigh on me ultimately getting in? Do I need give any evidence that withdrawing was for medical reasons?

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
Re: In desperate need of some advice!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 10:13:28 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with calling the school you are interested in applying to and posing that exact question.  Good luck.
William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:41:49 AM »
I'm a 1L at a school in Boston right now, but am originally from New Jersey. I suffer from a chronic illness that has been getting increasingly worse since I've gotten here. I'm considering withdrawing to go back home, since I have no real family or help here but definitely don't want to abandon the idea of law school altogether. If I were to withdraw and start reapplying to schools in New Jersey (that I was denied from last year), how much will withdrawing from this current program weigh on me ultimately getting in? Do I need give any evidence that withdrawing was for medical reasons?

You are halfway through your semester.  Unless you're going to die, I'd suggest you finish out this semester.  Then, you'll have some credits you can transfer and may be able to enter school as a transfer student.  Worst-case, you'll have demonstrated you can handle 1L coursework if you have to apply as a new applicant.

justanothersucker

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 04:07:31 PM »
Your grade is based on your final. If you think you will feel ill on the final, it will be shown on the curve when compared to those who were not ill in their studies and/or the exam. I know. One of my finals I had dissentary. Spent more time in the bathroom, running to bathroom, and sitting their wishing I was in the bathroom than focused on the exam. Not the same deal as yours I know, but a good example.

I recieved my worst grade ever in that exam (D) which is a "pass" in theory but only because I did ok on the other exams that were luckily scheduled several days latter. That was after being in good health to prep. If I'd been ill before and during, I would've failed for sure.

Just a thought. Lost money vs lifelong impact of grades on GPA.