Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reverse splitter...how to read the numbers?  (Read 1635 times)

Ryans5

Reverse splitter...how to read the numbers?
« on: September 30, 2011, 02:34:20 AM »
I have an LSAT score of 151 and a gpa of 3.85, I am going to re-take the LSAT in December but I do want to apply to some schools I think I can get into with my current numbers. It's unfortunately really hard to understand where I stand though because I'm usually far above one median and far below the other.

For example my number one choice is probably Louisville. 25%-152 75%-158 LSAT and 25%-3.2-75%-3.68 GPA No idea how to read that as far as chances as I'm 20% in one category and 80% in the other. The only real guidance I have is the LSAC calculator, which I trust but I hate to put so much faith in that. According to the LSAC calculator I have about a dead on 50-50 shot. I have other places like this only even more extreme. Places like Oregon where I have a 25% chance, but I am like 6 points under their 25% number. I've tried to type in other gpa/LSAT combos and I'm about even with a person who has a 3.5-3.6 and a 154-155 LSAT score as far as admissions chances. That helps but that's a pretty unproven system  :)

Any advice how to figure out where I stand?

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reverse splitter...how to read the numbers?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 08:03:32 AM »
I have an LSAT score of 151 and a gpa of 3.85, I am going to re-take the LSAT in December but I do want to apply to some schools I think I can get into with my current numbers. It's unfortunately really hard to understand where I stand though because I'm usually far above one median and far below the other.

For example my number one choice is probably Louisville. 25%-152 75%-158 LSAT and 25%-3.2-75%-3.68 GPA No idea how to read that as far as chances as I'm 20% in one category and 80% in the other. The only real guidance I have is the LSAC calculator, which I trust but I hate to put so much faith in that. According to the LSAC calculator I have about a dead on 50-50 shot. I have other places like this only even more extreme. Places like Oregon where I have a 25% chance, but I am like 6 points under their 25% number. I've tried to type in other gpa/LSAT combos and I'm about even with a person who has a 3.5-3.6 and a 154-155 LSAT score as far as admissions chances. That helps but that's a pretty unproven system  :)

Any advice how to figure out where I stand?

Those calcuators will give you a thumbnail, but you'll have to apply to know for sure.

I would offer the following guidance:

1.  Between GPA and LSAT, they tend to put more emphasis on LSAT. 

2.  If you are on the lower side of probabilities, and you're not a URM, you probably aren't the person they will admit with the lowest GPA / LSAT.

3.  As I've mentioned before, I applied to a school that the LSAC site says I should have stood a pretty good chance at, and they rejected me outright.  (Not even wait-listed.)

I'd say if it puts you at 50% or higher, you stand a pretty good chance. Might as well apply.

Less than 50%?  Apply if it's free, or if it's a school you really, really want.

Best of luck

Ryans5

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 01:17:04 AM »
Thanks for the advice. The school you were talking about was Case Western right? I typed in your numbers (3.0 158 right?) and it gave about a 30% chance, which is surprisingly about where they put me. I just really do not want to get my hopes up because I'm pretty much out of options if I do not get into law school. There are about 5 schools on my radar with a 50% and up. Chase, Louisville, WVU, University of Pacific (expensive), and Baltimore. Several others are hovering around 30-45% not sure what to do with those. Then a few hail mary passes like Iowa and Cincinnati that are 25% and under.

Should I even bother applying for those under 50%? I mean if I apply to four 25% schools, statistically I should get into one but I'm starting to repeat myself from my last post.

ua2012

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »
I'm in the same boat pretty much. 151 LSAT (two tries - same score) and 4.02 LSDAS GPA. I've applied to some safety schools, and I've been accepted at Alabama via the Law-Honors Contract. I've also applied to a few "reach" schools in hopes they see my GPA and undergraduate institution/curriculum as a strong indicator of my performance. I submitted an addendum and my personal statement is tailored toward a slight diverse side of the spectrum. There are hardly any other applicants (at least that I can find on forums) who share our numbers.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 06:00:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice. The school you were talking about was Case Western right? I typed in your numbers (3.0 158 right?) and it gave about a 30% chance, which is surprisingly about where they put me. I just really do not want to get my hopes up because I'm pretty much out of options if I do not get into law school. There are about 5 schools on my radar with a 50% and up. Chase, Louisville, WVU, University of Pacific (expensive), and Baltimore. Several others are hovering around 30-45% not sure what to do with those. Then a few hail mary passes like Iowa and Cincinnati that are 25% and under.

Should I even bother applying for those under 50%? I mean if I apply to four 25% schools, statistically I should get into one but I'm starting to repeat myself from my last post.

Yeah, sure, go for it.  Yep, I was a 3.0 and 159, and it said something like 30%.  They rejected me, but called 2 weeks later to ask if I was still thinking of going there.  My guess is that they rejected me hastily, and/or maybe a lot of the folks they had hoped would enroll didn't.  I think a school like Case has a wierd dichotomy in that a lot of folks will not go there if they can get into a better school.  PLUS, a lot of folks who could have gone might take a slightly lower ranked school if it's considerably cheaper and/or gave a scholly.

I'd apply anywhere you really want to go.  ID a few safety schools, too, but apply where you want to go.  Who knows, you might get in.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 06:01:47 PM »
Guys, if you don't mind me asking, what happened on the LSAT?  Did you prepare?  Just had a bad day?