Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do students at California Accredited school need to take baby bar?  (Read 2260 times)

gallagheria

• View Profile
Re: Do students at California Accredited school need to take baby bar?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 09:28:47 PM »
Just to clarify, it is NOT the ABA which is the monopoly. The US Department of Education is to blame as far as only permitting students at ABA schools to receive federal loans. As far as the practice of law, that is up to each state legislature and/or the highest court in the state. Many states have reciprocal agreements. If state A allows students from state B to practice, then vice versa. Unfortunately, there is only a handful of states that do this. Most say you must be ABA or from one of its own state accredited schools.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 10:40:21 PM »
I disagree, the ABA sets the standards and State Bar Examiners fall in line with a few exceptions. An attorney with a California DL or correspondence degree can usually qualify in only one other jurisidicition, District of Columbia. A Concord grad did sue and was able to take the bar in Massachusetts. On paper at least it seems possible to qualify in Iowa, Indiana, and maybe Wisconsin in narrow circumstances. The so called reciprocity agreements block out DL grads, California therefore is correct to deny reciprocity as most states will not permit non ABA to even take their bars. The ABA hypocrits however will gladly take your money if you are an attorney from a DL school and let you be a member.

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 08:31:27 AM »
Just to clarify, it is NOT the ABA which is the monopoly. The US Department of Education is to blame as far as only permitting students at ABA schools to receive federal loans.
While I am not defending DL schools, this is not a true statement.  Federal loans are available to most law schools which are accredited by an agency approved by the federal government.  This means that DETC schools could provide federal student loan opportunities for students.  I know that both Concord and Taft students are eligible for federally insured student loans.  Information such as this is easy to find, it would benefit everyone if people would do some research before posting.

justanothersucker

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 04:50:17 PM »
Aren't fed loans based on regional accrediting? I understand that most ABA schools are regional and most DL are national or state only, but if you wanted to go to JFK (which is a CBE school) I think you'd get the loans and aid same as any ABA school.

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 01:15:31 PM »
Aren't fed loans based on regional accrediting? I understand that most ABA schools are regional and most DL are national or state only, but if you wanted to go to JFK (which is a CBE school) I think you'd get the loans and aid same as any ABA school.
No, the school just has to be accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  This includes agencies such as DETC.

http://schoolgrantsfor.com/accreditation-key-unlocking-student-aid-and-how-it-works.html

LincolnLover

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
I find that interesting. I have never seen a DETC school offer fedloans. They all seem to have links to private lenders or their own payment plans.
Has anyone here recieved a federal loan or pell grant from a DETC school?

No, the school just has to be accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  This includes agencies such as DETC.

http://schoolgrantsfor.com/accreditation-key-unlocking-student-aid-and-how-it-works.html

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 10:28:29 AM »
Taft says they offer federal student loans: http://www.taftu.edu/tls/1_financialaid.htm

As does Concord: http://info.concordlawschool.edu/Pages/Paying_For.aspx

I don't know if anyone has actually received such loans, but it seems possible.

Swede1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 11:33:09 AM »
I can't speak to student loans, but I do know that if the school is accredited by DETC it qualifies you for the GI Bill and other veteran/military education benefits.

LincolnLover

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
I think even unaccredited schools qualify for that though. I remember seeing something about that on unaccredited CA school sites.

I can't speak to student loans, but I do know that if the school is accredited by DETC it qualifies you for the GI Bill and other veteran/military education benefits.