Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

1Ls, how do you feel at this point in the semester?

Totally on top of it.  Outlines in great shape.  Preparing for Exams.
 3 (33.3%)
Current with reading, but need to put more effort into outlines and exam prep.
 2 (22.2%)
Mostly current with reading.  Only slightly behind.
 2 (22.2%)
Clearly falling behind.  Not current with reading.  Starting to feel overwhelmed.
 1 (11.1%)
Totally lost.
 1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: October 23, 2011, 10:45:40 AM

Author Topic: 1Ls: How are you doing after the first month+?  (Read 3506 times)

Ringside74

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1Ls: How are you doing after the first month+?
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2011, 05:06:34 PM »
RULE#1 OF LAW SCHOOL: PROFS LIE!!!!!!!!!!!

They will get mad if you call them on it(seen it happen to stressed out 2L's mad at same Prof they had as a 1L for said lies and made mistake of calling Prof out on it in front of class)

They will say BS like "don't outline dump. I dont give credit for that"(lie)  or "If you just get a one sentence I will still give full credit". (lie)

What I hate the most is the lies in print. Where the exam says "4 setences of less for answer. I won't read beyond 4th sentence". Then for the answersheet it shows a WHOLE PAGE of what the points are broken down for. You add them up and realise that regardless of what you cramed in the 4 sentences, the number of points they award per grade would still only equal a C-WTF?!?! And yet those who did "dump" get an A.

-RULE#2 OF LAWSCHOOL: WHEN IN DOUBT, REFER BACK TO RULE#1.

Crap. Definitely did not know that.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
Don't know if that is true of every single professor or even most professors. The reality is every single professor has a different style and the way you become familar with that style is by looking at their old exams. I outline dumped on one test and that was the worst grade I ever received in law school I have gotten A's in every class I didn't do that, but I am sure there are professors out there that would take an outline dump it all depends on the professor.  Don't get caught up in what BarBri or anything else says for a law school exam your taking the professor's exam that they wrote and they have the answer to. When they write it that want it a certain way and the prior model answers they selected show you what they want.

justanothersucker

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 08:58:33 PM »
Bigs is right about that. If you listen to your Prof's they will tell you how OTHER profs are "wrong" and they are "right"  on subjects (or sometimes refer to lawyers outside the school if they are being PC that day) Just remember that what you write down in their essay to get an A may fail you on the bar some day. That being said, like Bigs says, play the game.

It's real fun if for x1 you for a prof that think the opposit of prof2 for x2 (fill in x with conlaw, civpro,whatever)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2011, 11:36:04 PM »
Yes that is exactly right play the game. Professors have their biases opinions etc and if you can throw in something they liked to talk about during the semester they probably will be happy if you write it. If you go to class everyday and really pay attention you can get a feel for how they think etc and play into their personality and you will get good grades. I have my answer published as the model in 7 classes and I think a lot of that had to do with using a few quotes the professors really liked. I knew the law of course, but it is an anonymous exam and if you put in writing that you were really listening you might get a brownie or point or two. Don't do that on the bar that is when you go by the barbri book, but don't go by BarBri in law school.

I don't know how many 1L students said I just listened to teh BarBri lecture and read this supplement that supplement and the other and although they can be helpful the law is not as black and white as it should be. Your taking the professors exam and every professor has a slightly different spin on the law and thinks different things are important so instead of trying to find an outside source that your professor is unaware of pay attention to what they are saying. In law school you are taking an exam on the professor not always the law. Obviously you need to the law to some extent, but reciting what Chemerinsky says in his MPRE lecture on your school's Professional Responsibility exam is not going to get you anywhere, but so many students try so hard to look for a shortcut when the key to success is quite simple. Read the pages your professor assigns, pay attention in class-no internet, and get a feel for how professor who is writing and grading your law school exam thinks.

I think the skill of learning to understand what the person in authority wants is key to being a lawyer. When you pass the bar you are going to go in front of judges and they will have their own style and often vastly different views on the law. I have worked for a few judges now and seen it first hand and I certainly saw it through reading cases. I mean Justice Thomas has his own way of viewing things I love him, but I remember in Con-Law reading the facts and already knowing he was going to the lone dissenter. If he was Superior Court Judge you were going in front of you would need to know how he thinks, because whether the judge is right on their black letter law when they put an order in it's over absent going through the time and effort of an appeal. You would be a lot better of knowing the judges style and thought process opposed to going in with what a textbook somewhere said.