Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

1Ls, how do you feel at this point in the semester?

Totally on top of it.  Outlines in great shape.  Preparing for Exams.
 3 (33.3%)
Current with reading, but need to put more effort into outlines and exam prep.
 2 (22.2%)
Mostly current with reading.  Only slightly behind.
 2 (22.2%)
Clearly falling behind.  Not current with reading.  Starting to feel overwhelmed.
 1 (11.1%)
Totally lost.
 1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: October 23, 2011, 10:45:40 AM

Author Topic: 1Ls: How are you doing after the first month+?  (Read 3563 times)

justanothersucker

Re: 1Ls: How are you doing after the first month+?
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2011, 05:14:13 PM »
if you guys have the time to write these long of posts, take that energy into actual studies and you will be fine.

-"I don't have time to read all my cases, let me explain it on LSD in a half an hour long type session three times per day".
 ::)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 05:42:34 PM »
if you guys have the time to write these long of posts, take that energy into actual studies and you will be fine.

-"I don't have time to read all my cases, let me explain it on LSD in a half an hour long type session three times per day".

Well I'm an attorney now, so any free time I have is a product of how fast/hard I work on projects.
My longest post was 365 words.  Actually typing that many words takes me about 4 minutes.

justanothersucker

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 06:19:07 PM »
so very possibly outdate info?  ???

Well I'm an attorney now, so any free time I have is a product of how fast/hard I work on projects.
My longest post was 365 words.  Actually typing that many words takes me about 4 minutes.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2011, 06:26:24 PM »
Sorry.  Not clever enough to know what you are talking about.

justanothersucker

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »
So get more clever.
Kind of half my point anyways right there.

Sorry.  Not clever enough to know what you are talking about.

Ringside74

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 01:07:22 AM »
I feel great. I've been studying my ass off more than anyone. I've gotten really good at issue spotting and did lots of extra exam prep before midterms earlier this week. Felt great to work that hard.

I am no gunner, though. I usually get flustered and nervous if the teacher actually calls on me. I freak out. Not sure why. I usually am comfortable with the material because I make liberal use of the library's outside study resources.

What's made issue spotting really easy for me thus far is thoroughly learning any rule that the teacher gives me inside and out.

justanothersucker

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 12:05:11 PM »
People always talk smack about "gunners" but I found that the classes that I was the gunner in I did better than the ones where I tried my best to be a conformist cliche(basicly my entire 1L). You don't have to talk if you don't want to, but be ready and prepared for it if you get called on.

The only people that I ever really hated were the ones who THOUGHT they were gunners but actually knew less than the kid who slept in the back row wearing an ICP shirt and constantly crying about his "wiskeysh*ts".

It's ok to answer the questions you know. If you know a lot, anwer a lot. If you are dumb as rocks, that is also ok. Just only raise your hand to end sentences with a question mark. It's ok for dumb kids to ask a lot of questions, just not to give a lot of dumb answers while arrogantly pretending to be right all the time. -If you are raising your hand, asking yourself how "Jersey Shore" you feel this week, I am talking about you.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »
The only people that I ever really hated were the ones who THOUGHT they were gunners but actually knew less than the kid who slept in the back row wearing an ICP shirt and constantly crying about his "wiskeysh*ts".

It seems like this is what some people define as a gunner.  It's as though there's two separate ideas being crammed into one label, here.

There are the gunners, so called because they're gunning for the top spots in the class.  However, they're doing so in a manner that attracts attention to themselves.

then, there are the gunner-wannabes.

A lot of folks seem to associate the gunner-wannabes more closely with the term "gunner" than they do actual people who are visibly staking out the top rankings in the class.

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »
1.  Reading the cases just reinforces the doctrine for me.  Maybe I learn differently, but it is where the law comes from and I like to know the "why" of it.  Why did a judge or jury decide this way on this case, but another court decided differently on another case, etc.   The decisions reinforce the black letter law and, for me, makes it easier to apply when given a scenario.  I remember the cases, which is required for our torts class on an exam.  She wants us to analyze and compare a case we read to the scenario given in some detail.  If you don't have to do that, then you probably could spend your time doing other things.  Again, a student should be prepared for what is expected by the professor and I'm sure you agree with that.

2.  You are probably correct that one will get extra points for things not mentioned in class.  One of my professors says we don't have to use policy arguments in our answers, but based on many 2L's experience at my school, it will get you additional points.   So definitely add it if you have the time.   

Again, I really won't know how I'm doing til I get my grades.  But for now, I really don't mind putting the time in.  It's not overbearing or killing me or depriving me of a social life.  It's all good right now.

First:  What benefit do you get from reading the cases? (I'm not implying there isn't any)

Second: Yes, in most cases you absolutely will get extra points for mentioning things not covered in class.  Professors pretend that their test grading is so accurate and particular.  They claim that they will only give points for things covered in class.  However, I got plenty of points for public policy and logical arguments that weren't covered in class.  I brought my professional experience into finals all the time and got a lot of points.  Professors also warned against using commercial supplements because they would include information that wasn't covered in class.  I relied on these all the time and got points because the law was correct.  Law school grading is about organization, black letter laws, exceptions, good logic and application, and then interesting points that the teacher likes.  I took a risk one time and went off on how the fact pattern in a final would never happen, and it wouldn't be in the business' best interest to sue.  I said if they did sue, the issues and likely outcome would be _____, but the first question is whether a law suit was even a good idea.   I got the book award in that class even though the teacher had professed that he would not give points for anything that wasn't covered in class.

Finally, I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't read the cases. However, don't think that it's the most effective method just because that's what you are "supposed" to do.  For every minute you spend reading the book you could be doing something else.

justanothersucker

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »
RULE#1 OF LAW SCHOOL: PROFS LIE!!!!!!!!!!!

They will get mad if you call them on it(seen it happen to stressed out 2L's mad at same Prof they had as a 1L for said lies and made mistake of calling Prof out on it in front of class)

They will say BS like "don't outline dump. I dont give credit for that"(lie)  or "If you just get a one sentence I will still give full credit". (lie)

What I hate the most is the lies in print. Where the exam says "4 setences of less for answer. I won't read beyond 4th sentence". Then for the answersheet it shows a WHOLE PAGE of what the points are broken down for. You add them up and realise that regardless of what you cramed in the 4 sentences, the number of points they award per grade would still only equal a C-WTF?!?! And yet those who did "dump" get an A.

-RULE#2 OF LAWSCHOOL: WHEN IN DOUBT, REFER BACK TO RULE#1.