Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My review of Cumberland  (Read 729 times)

disg84

• View Profile
My review of Cumberland
« on: September 22, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »
Some of you may not have heard of this school.  It's got a well-ranked trial program but isn't a top-tier school.  I came here because of a scholarship, turning down other schools that would have been a better fit for me.

Here is my opinion.

The professors are basically alright.  Most of them are fairly knowledgeable and willing to help students out to the extent they are able to do so.  A lot of them play favorites but that's probably not going to be different anywhere you go.

The administration, on the other hand, are not alright.  I don't know if it is because the school is affiliated with a religious college or if it's just the nature of Alabama but the administrators here are uptight, reactionary and difficult to deal with.  And a lot of the students are fairly uptight as well.  It's a private school and it's affiliated with a religious college so they're the expected mix of rich kids with little to no real world work experience, a complete lack of respect for other professions, a nasty sense of entitlement and "natural superiority."  And I'd be lying if I said there isn't a bit of class warfare going on.  I managed to stay out of it, thankfully, but I watched students who were not from such privileged backgrounds railroaded into unfortunate situations repeatedly.

There's definitely a sense of "you're either one of us or we will do everything we can to prevent you from succeeding."  If you have to go here and you're not like the rest of the students?  Keep to yourself.  Don't bother trying to get to know them.  I watched three people end up in serious trouble for no better reason than letting the wrong word slip at the wrong moment - often in response to someone asking them to do so.