Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JD / CPA? Would there be any point?  (Read 570 times)

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
JD / CPA? Would there be any point?
« on: September 18, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »
I just realized this week that it's highly likely that I'll be able to sit for the CPA exam if I judiciously select my law electives.

Of course, I wouldn't be able to meet the professional requirements to be a CPA.  Nor do I foresee a situation where I would.

However, is there any circumstance where this would be a help?  I am particularly interested in securities law. 

Also, can professional experience count for both law and accountancy?  For instance, if I were to be a tax attorney (yes, I know about the LLM in Tax), would that count as professional years towards a CPA designation?

Any insight would be appreciated.

if it pleases the court

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: JD / CPA? Would there be any point?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 10:18:01 PM »
There is no reason for you to take the CPA exam. Second, any experience gained as a tax attorney is not the same as experience gained as a CPA. You have answered a very special calling to attend law school, therefore it is not in your best interest to mix apples and oranges at this critical time.  CPA's are completely different from lawyers, including tax lawyers. You are not passionate about a career as a CPA, so you should not take the CPA exam.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »
There is no reason for you to take the CPA exam. Second, any experience gained as a tax attorney is not the same as experience gained as a CPA. You have answered a very special calling to attend law school, therefore it is not in your best interest to mix apples and oranges at this critical time.  CPA's are completely different from lawyers, including tax lawyers. You are not passionate about a career as a CPA, so you should not take the CPA exam.

Yeah, that's sort of what I figured.  Thanks for the advice.

justanothersucker

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 01:41:15 PM »
It is a good idea if you want to go into Tax Law. Other than that, no.

Same idea for someone who wants to take the Patent bar. Good idea, if you want intellectual property.