Law Students > 1L job search

Any Single Moms/ Dads Attending Part-Time Law Students???

(1/2) > >>

LotusRN1972:
Hello,
I am new to this site. I am the single Mom of  teenagers and am presently an RN. My goal is to become a Nurse Attorney! I was wondering if there are any single parents on the site who attend school (Full opr Part) that have some words of wisdom to share with me. Thanks in advance ;D

LotusRN1972

FalconJimmy:
I'm a parent.  (Separated.) 

Law school has been WAYYYY more work than I anticipated.  It just takes a heck of a lot of time.  I notice that the biggest thing that's impacted is my time with my son.

However, on the other hand, I still have time to help coach his football team (2 hours a night.)  So, depending on what, specifically, you want to do with your kids, you can still keep some good quality time going.

What questions do you have? 

Hamilton:
I did it married with a supportive wife and kids - regret every minute of time it took away from me and the children, because it was a LOT of time.  Would not do it again and would advise any parent against it unless they NEEDED to go to law school.  Sad thing is, they get used to you not being around as much and they miss out on time together with their parent - not a good thing.  My 2 cents - it was selfish of me to go to law school when I did not need to and when I had kids at home who needed their father's time.

justanothersucker:
Hamilton-what lawyer does not "need" to go to lawschool?

What were you doing for work before lawshool? What would you be expecting to be doing now if you hadn't gone?
Are you a lawyer now or useing your JD in a nonlegal profession?

Hamilton:
The OP is a RN, does she NEED to go to LS or WANT?  RN is a good career, so I'm guessing it is a "want" (and that is not said in judgment) - one could argue that nobody needs to go to LS unless they are something like an 8-track tape salesman with no other career options.  I maintained my current career (which I have always loved) as a technical/regulatory manager throughout LS and hoped to build upon it with a law degree.  That always sounds good, but for established working professionals making a switch and taking a significant pay cut is not reality.  Generally, I think it is a myth that a JD can be used outside of being a lawyer.  Am I better at my job b/c I went to LS?  In some areas, but I did not need 3 years of LS to acquire the skills and knowledge.  Have any doors been opened?  Marginally, none worth taking.  Overall was it worth the time?  No, it is a tremendous burden to place on one's family.  I am lucky b/c I did not sacrifice my career to go to LS, and had most of it paid for with scholarships and by my employer.  I truly worry about people with families or decent careers who are thinking of sacrificing the career and taking on a tremendous amount of debt to go to LS, I think it is generally a bad plan unless they are fully prepared to hit the reset button and start over careerwise.

--- Quote from: justanothersucker on September 16, 2011, 12:06:19 PM ---Hamilton-what lawyer does not "need" to go to lawschool?

What were you doing for work before lawshool? What would you be expecting to be doing now if you hadn't gone?
Are you a lawyer now or useing your JD in a nonlegal profession?

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version