Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Combined degree programs? (and other questions)  (Read 498 times)

boscaresque

• View Profile
Combined degree programs? (and other questions)
« on: September 15, 2011, 03:17:07 AM »
Hello,

I'm currently a junior in political science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. My GPA is around a 3.8 and I think I've got a relatively good resume going (two pretty nice internships under my belt; one of which was in Washington, DC). I am still not entirely sure if I want to go to law school, as most of the stuff I've read online has been overwhelmingly negative (I know that's not the best indicator, but still...it's very intimidating). I'm the kind of person who tends to get incredibly passionate about their studies and enjoys everything no matter what. However, I fear that that won't be enough.

My dream has always been to go to school in the East, preferably in the mid-Atlantic. I think that at this point, I stand a reasonable chance, but it may be that I've just been deluding myself. I guess we'll have to see how I do on the LSAT.

But anyway, that brings me to a question that's been on my mind recently. I've been looking into the College of William and Mary and saw that they have joint J.D. and master's programs in a variety of subjects. On the surface, this seems like a great idea to me. I mean, why not get two degrees in the time it usually takes to get one? But then I realized that this sort of thing must have its downsides. I can't even imagine how much the workload is...

So I guess my questions are:
-Do any other schools have a joint J.D./Master's program?
-What are the pros/cons of this arrangement?
-How do you choose between grad school and law school?
-What other things should I be doing now, as a junior, to prepare for a possible law school track?

I hope this isn't too much in one topic. I just have so many questions. :D

justanothersucker

Re: Combined degree programs? (and other questions)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 05:03:34 PM »
Joint degrees are a waste of money and a waste of time.

If you want to get a joint degree worth anything get a joint LLM/JD.

Shy of that, it's useless.

Laura317

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 04:19:16 PM »
I think any extra pursuit in education is worthwhile.  You may just want to focus on that one degree at the physical school you go to and then supplement it with a little online education.  It really is a growing trend.  You can usually work at your own pace without having to commute.  That way you wouldn't take on too much of a workload.  Have you looked into Colorado Technical University?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 08:53:37 PM »
If you want to pursue these degrees then I suggest you do it.  It is always good to bring in as much knowledge as you can.

Only if those degrees are free with no opportunity cost.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?