Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Think law school is right for me?  (Read 520 times)

18Bravo

• View Profile
Think law school is right for me?
« on: September 12, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »
First off, I have wanted to be an attorney for the majority of my life.  It all started when I went to a law firm on a school field trip in 8th grade, sat in on a consultation, and loved the dialogue and the thought of helping people.  From that point on, I decided I was going to grow up and become a lawyer.  However, once I got into college, I slacked off and focused more on drinking and partying than my grades.  However, by my senior year, I got myself together and managed to get a 4.0 in summer of 2010 (2 classes),  a 3.75 in fall of 2010 (4 classes), a 3.5 in spring of 2011 (4 classes) and a 4.0 in summer of 2011 (2 classes).  The classes I took from summer 2010 an onwards were all upper-level classes...  I hope this demonstrates an upward trend.

However, when I finally received my diploma, my UGPA was a frustrating 2.87.  As for my LSAT, I have yet to take it  (October), and I am currently enrolled in a Princeton Review prep program, but my score on the practice tests is hovering around 150.  I work about 4-6 hours on studying every day, working a different section every day, and taking one timed practice test every day.

On a side note, I have a strong letter of recommendation from a professor of mine and another strong LOR from a successful practicing attorney.  I also work at a law firm, hoping this will show the Admissions Council my dedication and desire to become a law student.  I am looking at schools in the south east like John Marshall (Atlanta), Mercer, Florida Coastal, Mississippi College, and reach schools of Georgia State and U. South Carolina.  Are these schools beyond my reach?  What chances do I have to even go to law school?  I am blessed by having parents with financially successful careers and can pay for my law school, so debt wont really be a problem, thank God. 

What schools should I be looking at?

Stats:
LSAT: 150
GPA: 2.87

18Bravo

• View Profile
Re: Think law school is right for me?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 03:02:05 PM »
Does anyone have any knowledge, opinion, information, or insight they wouldnt mind sparing me?   I came here because people who know this business frequent this board.  I have no one else I can talk to about this, you guys are my only source of law admission experience.

justanothersucker

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 05:21:09 PM »
anything to keep a specops sgt from getting too mad at us.  ;D

I say go for it battlebuddy. Too many civies in the trade as in anyways.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 12:46:32 PM »
Does anyone have any knowledge, opinion, information, or insight they wouldnt mind sparing me?   I came here because people who know this business frequent this board.  I have no one else I can talk to about this, you guys are my only source of law admission experience.

I think you already know what you're up against.  You're pretty much out of the running for any of the better schools due to your GPA.  However, with a good LSAT, you could get admitted to some school, somewhere, probably.  Question is, how bad do you want it?  How flexible are you on where you want to go? 

You're not in great shape, but this door isn't entirely closed.  Just decide if it's worth an uphill fight.  You're going to have trouble getting into the school of your choice.  You may have to relocate to get to a school where you can get in.  After that, you either need to transfer to a better school, or dominate your class to place in the top 10% or so.  Both of those propositions are dicey. 

It just depends on how bad you want it and what you're willing to do.  You know you're at a disadvantage, but you can overcome it.  Depends on what you want to do with your life.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 02:17:12 PM »
I would add to Falcon's post by suggesting that you should be asking yourself whether you SHOULD pursue it.  Just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD.  What i mean is that I think you could easily get into a school like Cooley - and you will be on track to spend well over $100K on the education... SHOULD you?  It would not hurt to try so long as you kept your options open and recognize that you may be best served by dropping out and walking away at some point early on.  If you got great grades and finished first term with over a 3.5, then yea, you may have an aptitude for this and be able to transfer to a higher-ranked school.  OTOH, if you struggle, do poorly gradewise, you could be setting yourself up for long term failure by graduating from a low-tier law school in the lower percentile of the class, with more than $100K in non-dischargable debt - THAT is a formula for disaster.   In the second scenario your best bet might be to cut your losses and walk away... keep an open mind.

Your time and treasure may be better spent on some other advanced degree that could land you a decent job that you love.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:19:14 PM »

Bravo -

The other comments are quite right.  As to the admissions picture, take a look at Law School Undercover, by Professor X.  He gives a few tricks of the trade in terms of what admissions officers and deans are really thinking.

Thane.