Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: advice on academic dismissal...  (Read 2553 times)

NJay2010

• View Profile
    • Email
advice on academic dismissal...
« on: September 12, 2011, 06:50:25 PM »
Unfortunately, I was academically dismissed from law school after my 1L year. I found out I was no longer a law student in June and I am still finding it very diffcult to deal with. I have always wanted to be an attorney, and I worked very hard to get into law school. My first semester of law school was one of the most difficult journeys  that I have ever embarked upon. I soon found out that it was not undergrad. My grades were horrible. I wasn't use to it at all, because I did very well in undergrad. I was told by one of my professors that most people with my GPA did not come back and that it was best to leave. I decided to stay and fight. Second semester was alot better, because I finally understood want it meant to be in law school. I joined a study group, pulled all nighters, met with professors weekly, did practice essays etc. In the end, all my grades went up a letter grade (except for contracts). However, my first semester GPA was just too low that I couldn't come back from it. My school had a C curve.

Now, I am in an MBA program and very unhappy. I wish I was in law school everyday. I feel like a failure and an embarrassment to my mother. There has been an on going competition with my cousin who has just been hired at an accounting firm. Somedays I am fine, but most days I cry. I have no idea where to go from here. I don't know if I am meant to be an attorney. I don't even know how to be happy for my friends who are still there, when all I feel is jealousy and anger. I need advice from people who know what it's like to be in law school.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: advice on academic dismissal...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 11:06:39 PM »
Have you tried applying for admission to a different school?  Cooley?  I mean, if you're so distraught that b-school makes you weep, it seems to me you're ready to try anything to get back into law school.

boogiedownbronx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
Keep your head up.  Getting back into law school isn't impossible, it can be done.  The first thing I'd do though is evaluate whether you want to take on the kind of financial debt needed to get back in law school.  Remember you can always go back as an evening student.  This way you'd have a job to help pay down some of your debt.  I only say this because, you dont want to get out of law school in debt up to your ears, you'll be just as miserable as you are in business school.  But if your certain you want to return, I'd study extremely hard for the LSAT.  This way when you apply to different schools you don't have to settle for some crap school where the likelihood of academic dismissal is high.  Good luck, sounds like you got a lot going for you and things will work out regardless.

justanothersucker

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »
If you had issue with the first term, I'd study those classes like mad. Contracts and Torts can both be part of your MBA. Make it as large of a part as possible. That way when you go back you will have more of a feel for it.

I'd also recommend going part time (6credits) that way you go slow and get back in the grove. I'd pick a school that offers such a program.