Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley Student Seeking Transfer  (Read 2972 times)

lawstudentseekingtransfer

• View Profile
Cooley Student Seeking Transfer
« on: September 12, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm a 23 year old going into my 3rd term (semester) at Cooley. Before I post this, I feel compelled to state that I know there are a lot of negative replies to posts dealing with Cooley, and there students. Most of the negative things I've read about Cooley I actually agree with. I however would like to keep these issues out of the discussion, because I am simply looking for help and advice. After my first 2 terms, I have a 3.6 GPA, and sit at about 8% of my class. I am also waiting for the grade result of one more class (which I feel I did well in). I am looking to apply for transfer after this (my 3rd) term. Assuming I do as well as I did in my first 2 terms, what are some of the best schools that I could transfer to? I have no ties in Michigan, so I would be willing to attend any law school in the country. I know a student from Cooley who transferred to MSU last term with a 3.1 GPA at Cooley. For this reason, I feel that I can get into MSU, but I am aiming a little bit higher. Thank you all for the help, advice, and time. It is very much appreciated!

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cooley Student Seeking Transfer
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 04:26:34 PM »
You've got a decent GPA.  I would suggest first identifying where YOU want to be, then look at the higher tier law schools in that area.

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 01:06:15 AM »
I transferred from there in 2010.  I was in the top 5% and chose a tier 2 in CA, though I'm sure I could have gone to a tier 1 in a different area.  Keep in mind that some schools cap transfer units at 30.  The previous poster was right though.  Pick a region and go from there. 

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 07:28:37 PM »
Only a  few schools allow mid year transfers.  That limits your choices considerably.  How many schools allow mid year transfers?  Under 10?  I honestly don't know- you'll have to research it.  Rutgers allows it, GTLC does I think, MD may, I can't think of anymore off the top of my head.  Good luck and act fast if you want to do it.  Mid year transfers are a speed game.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

dawnofice2k

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:44:20 AM »
The minute my last grade came out, I got my application out to MSU as a transfer student and got accepted.  I got over a 3.2 GPA and got into MSU and I start in January this coming.  Cooley offered 25% scholarship to me but going from a T4 to a top 100 school was a no brainer.

justanothersucker

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 04:59:12 PM »
Why do so many people enroll somewhere that they feel they are too good for months into it?

Why didn't you just wait untill you got into a school you wanted to be in?

People cry non stop about student debt and then want to walk into more of it.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »
Surely you must have known people who didn't do as well in undergrad as they thought they should.

For some folks, it's a lot easier to work hard in 1L with all the chips on the line than to grind it out for 4 years, especially if for a good chunk of that time, they didn't know why they were in school.  Makes sense then to "seek your own level" and xfer up to a school you'd rather be at.

dawnofice2k

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 09:12:42 PM »
Debt is real but to be in debt and not be able to find a job in a tight economy is even worse.  Not to mention the questions a Cooley student or any other law school student involved in litigation has to face about why your school got sued...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/law-grads-sue-school-degree-indentured-servitude-205815018.html

Transferring schools isn't a crime...people start at many law schools for many different reasons and find it appropriate to transfer.  You paid the tuition...you paid for your grades.  If you think it's in your best interest to get out of Michigan and change schools, DO IT.  But definitely consider what region of the country you want to be in before you do anything.  Top 100 law schools in U.S. News & World Report, unfortunately, is given a lot of credibility by people in the legal field so keep that in mind as well.  No one can tell you what's good for you but YOU.

dawnofice2k

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 10:07:49 PM »
Why do so many people enroll somewhere that they feel they are too good for months into it?

See, it's comments like these that don't make any sense.  Why are you so concerned about what other people choose to do?  This blog originated from a person who was at Cooley who WANTED to seek transfer to another school.  While you're entitled to your opinion, why be concerned with someone else's debt/money?  Cooley is not a bad school...I'm not knocking it.  But the bottom line is that it's a school with a lot of baggage.  Some people graduate from Cooley and do great.  Some don't.  But if you have the opportunity to go to a school with a better reputation than Cooley, why hate on that student?  Reputation is all an attorney has out here in the real world and getting that first job is going to be tough in this economy.  Whatever a student can do to make themselves more competitive they should do.

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »

See, it's comments like these that don't make any sense.  Why are you so concerned about what other people choose to do?  This blog originated from a person who was at Cooley who WANTED to seek transfer to another school.  While you're entitled to your opinion, why be concerned with someone else's debt/money?  Cooley is not a bad school...I'm not knocking it.  But the bottom line is that it's a school with a lot of baggage.  Some people graduate from Cooley and do great.  Some don't.  But if you have the opportunity to go to a school with a better reputation than Cooley, why hate on that student?  Reputation is all an attorney has out here in the real world and getting that first job is going to be tough in this economy.  Whatever a student can do to make themselves more competitive they should do.

Don't feed the troll!

Anyway, I'm sure you're in the super majority dawnofice2k.  That guy has some sort of personal vendetta against law school.