Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is an ABA JD enough to practice in Canada?  (Read 1746 times)

justanothersucker

Is an ABA JD enough to practice in Canada?
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:44:56 PM »
Is an ABA JD enough to practice in Canada?

I heard somewhere that they require an extra year of schooling at a local lawschool too. Is this true?

artsci10

• View Profile
Re: Is an ABA JD enough to practice in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:15:26 PM »
Yes, anyone with a foreign degree who wishes to practice law outside of Quebec must go through the NCA process wherein your credentials are evaluated, and based on your marks, professional experiences, and course selection in law school you have to take a certain number (it changes significantly from applicant to application) of NCA exams and courses. For example, practically every US law graduate would be required to take Canadian Constitutional Law.

Following completion of the NCA process, one still needs to article in order to be called to the bar, though depending on the province this may be waived if you have 5+ years of experience as a lawyer in your home country.

In Quebec the process is completely different. I'm not sure there even is an accreditation program for Quebec, but if there is, it would require you to learn a completely new legal system (Quebec uses Civil Law instead of Common Law) and knowing La Belle Province, I'm nearly certain that you'd have to be fluent in French to even apply.

Hope this helps.

LincolnLover

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »
I'm surpised Quebec isn't it's own nation. (even though Canada isn't really a nation yet itself)

artsci10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »
Quebec is a nation, but one that exists within the Canadian state. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qu%C3%A9b%C3%A9cois_nation_motion

LincolnLover

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »
Which in turn belongs to the UK. Not my idea of a "nation", (nor do I trust Wikipedia, wish they went black for ever)

Quebec is a nation, but one that exists within the Canadian state. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qu%C3%A9b%C3%A9cois_nation_motion

B212bb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:02:53 PM »
I'm surpised Quebec isn't it's own nation. (even though Canada isn't really a nation yet itself)

I hope that was sarcasm. Canada is a nation, a pretty damn great one too. Oh, and the CBA actually limits the number of law schools which is why Canadian lawyers and law graduates are far better off than American ones. Canada does not belong to the UK either. It is a sovereign and independent country. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada as much as she is Queen of the United Kingdom. The Canadian Monarchy is co-equal with the British one.

LincolnLover

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
If she is as much as she is to the UK (as you said) then that is a huge amount. That is 100%.

I hope that was sarcasm. Canada is a nation, a pretty damn great one too. Oh, and the CBA actually limits the number of law schools which is why Canadian lawyers and law graduates are far better off than American ones. Canada does not belong to the UK either. It is a sovereign and independent country. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada as much as she is Queen of the United Kingdom. The Canadian Monarchy is co-equal with the British one.