Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Embarrassing GPA, High LSAT  (Read 1778 times)

Dan28

• View Profile
Embarrassing GPA, High LSAT
« on: September 06, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »
Hello everyone. I apologize in advance for another "splitter in need of emotional reassurance" thread on this board.

I will graduate with a 2.77 GPA this winter.
My LSAT (after many hours and dollars invested into prep time) is a 176.

While my social skills have yet to blossom as well as they should for an aspiring attorney, I think I can rummage up a couple of recommendation letters from two professors that more or less knew of my existence during my career in undergraduate school.

I have no special conditions; I'm a white male from a middle-classed background who simply could not find a way to connect to reality in undergrad, choosing to simply fail courses rather than attend class for God knows what mentally-inept reasons.

Nevertheless, my question is, in particularly broad terms, do I have any chance of success applying to a good (top 50?) law school? Sorry again if I was mistaken in posting this topic here.

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Embarrassing GPA, High LSAT
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 09:13:58 PM »
As you have likely already read, splitters are somewhat less predictable than their more evenly matched peers. But I suspect with the numbers you mention you will likely be able to gain admission at some very respectable schools.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 06:21:50 PM »
Apply broadly and hope like hell. I'd bet that you'll get into at least one T1 school, but I wouldn't try to guess which one. haus is pretty spot-on.

Tofayel

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - apobangladesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 10:40:27 AM »
It will be difficult to you admit into a well graded law school. But you should remember that your professional success depends on your efficiency, not on school.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »
If I had to place a wager, I'd bet that you get into a top 50.  They place more emphasis on LSAT than GPA.  The other advice you got was spot-on.  Apply broadly and see what happens.