Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cold Feet  (Read 1255 times)

tricky

• View Profile
Cold Feet
« on: September 05, 2011, 03:04:25 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am from Canada. I just graduated with a combined degree (that's two degrees, the second one requiring a fifth year of undergrad) in Economics and Political Science. I graduated with a 4.0. I have been practicing the LSAT for about two months now, I average high 160's.

So here's my dilemma: Throughout my entire academic career I have operated under the assumption that I was going to law school. Ever since I was 15 years old, when people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I said "lawyer". I went to university under this assumption. I started out in poli sci, because that is what "all" pre-law kids take. I then decided to also take econ, since that is what all "smart" pre-law kids take. In first year I loved what I was doing. In second year, I loved it less. In third year, I started to dislike poli, at which point I also took on econ. By fourth year, I started to dislike both, and the thought actually occured to me of "what if I don't go to law school"?

It was at this point roughly a year ago that I actually seriously started wondering about whether I WANTED to go to law school. After doing some research I realized that I don't think I do. I find my feelings toward the practice of law and law school in general are most succintly summerized by Tucker Max (taken from the FAQ section of his website):

Should I get my JD? What is your advice for someone thinking about going into law school?
Do you want to waste three years of your life debating stupid and utterly irrelevant minutia? Then yes, get your JD. Do you want to get a degree that allows you work the rest of your life in a tedious, bad, unrewarding job? Then yes, get your JD. Are you a boring, facile, socially retarded whore, desperate for the illusion of money and success, regardless of the cost to your life and the lives of those you love? Then yes, get your JD. Do you want to squander your existence sitting in a lifeless office, churning out ultimately meaningless paperwork? Then yes, get your JD. Listen to me people: There is a reason that lawyers have the LOWEST job satisfaction of any profession in America. THE JOB SUCKS. It is horrible.

Alright, I understand that most of you are probably scratching your head at the fact that the reasoning I relate most to comes from Tucker Max, of all people. Nonetheless, despite the source of the reasoning, I still find myself agreeing with it. I have talked to many, many lawyers. Some are associates, some are partners. Some work in corporate, others government, others litgation. They all love their jobs... but they love their jobs because they love the work. They love the law, they love the money, and they don't mind working 70 hours a week to make it.

I'm just not sure this is me, I don't think I love the law, I don't think it's what I'm passionate about, and I certainly don't want to do something for 70+ hours a week that I hate. So I guess my question is this: What would you do if you were me? My whole life I've created this bubble around me of becoming a lawyer, and the pressure is imense. I feel like if I don't I'll have wasted five years of school, a lot of potential, and have let a lot of people down.

I am writing the LSAT this October, I am applying to different schools for next fall. If I have an epiphany in the next year I at least want to have the option of still going.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cold Feet
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 03:02:27 AM »
I'm just not sure this is me, I don't think I love the law, I don't think it's what I'm passionate about, and I certainly don't want to do something for 70+ hours a week that I hate. So I guess my question is this: What would you do if you were me? My whole life I've created this bubble around me of becoming a lawyer, and the pressure is imense. I feel like if I don't I'll have wasted five years of school, a lot of potential, and have let a lot of people down.

1.  First, I want to commend you on some exceptional introspection.  I think you are showing a great deal of wisdom and maturity by not just putting your head down and grunting this thing out.  I wish I'd had the same level of clarity when I was your age.  (I am presuming your age, here.)

2.  What other people think?  I really don't know a delicate way to say this, but **** them.  They don't have to live with this decision, you do.  Some of the closer members of your family (parents?) might be slightly impacted by your career decision, but I would hope that most rational people would like to see you spend your life as a productive, happy member of society.  How you do that?  I doubt they care that much.  DO NOT MAKE YOUR CAREER (or any other significant life) CHOICES BASED ON WHAT YOU THINK OTHER PEOPLE THINK.

3.  Your degree in poli sci is pretty much wallpaper, but your degree in economics is very employable.  Put it to work.

What would I do if I were you?  Anything for a year or so.  Work in a bank.  Be a park ranger.  Heck, I'd join a band and spend the next year surviving on doritos and pepsi.  You're young.  Experience life.  The grind of a real job is something you'll deal with for decades.  If you have any wild oats, now is the time to sow them.

InterAlia1961

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
    • View Profile
    • The Daily Defacto
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 06:32:49 PM »
Please, whatever you do, don't take advice from a self-proclaimed ^$$hole. He's just another booze-soaked blogger. That's it. At least he admits it, but still...he's intellectually lazy.
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' ~Arthur Clarke

tricky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »
Please note that's why I wrote: "Alright, I understand that most of you are probably scratching your head at the fact that the reasoning I relate most to comes from Tucker Max, of all people. Nonetheless, despite the source of the reasoning, I still find myself agreeing with it."

It's not that I'm taking advice from him specifically, it's just that my point of view happens to be congruent with his. The reason I quoted him is because his feelings are exactly the same as my own, and he just happens to express them more eloquently than I could, I think.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:11:37 AM »
2 things:

1. Do not know why Interalia wants to bag on Falcon - he is one of the few people who gives well-articulated and intellectually sound advice.  Heck, he will probably have too much class to respond to her baseless statements. You absolutely should consider his advice.

2. You go to law school primarily for 1 reason - you know that you really want to be a lawyer and practice law.  If you do not fit this category, then why waste the time and treasure?

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:03:37 AM »
1. Do not know why Interalia wants to bag on Falcon

I think she meant Tucker Max.

InterAlia1961

• View Profile
    • The Daily Defacto
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 07:55:59 PM »
1. Do not know why Interalia wants to bag on Falcon

I think she meant Tucker Max.

She did 8)  FalconJimmy is most certainly not an ^$$hole. And he is extremely articulate and intelligent. Okay, enough drool. He's also a tad on the pompous side, whereas you, Hamilton, are completely pompous. See the difference?

Now, for some good news. I got a book deal! Check it out:
What a treat to receive your packet.  Not only am I very familiar with your wonderful work, but I’ve also been looking hard for the perfect author to write a book similar to the one you propose.  (I was just “ruminating” about it on the way in to work this morning.)  You are clearly the right author, and I’m excited about a collaboration.

It seems, however, I am now asking the same question as this thread's author. Do I really want the law degree bad enough to do both? I'm going to write the book. I've got a market, and audience, and a willing publisher. But what about law school? I've always wanted this. Actually, I've always wanted both. I guess the question is whether or not I can handle both at the same time and maintain the level of quality and achievement I expect of myself. Sigh. I'm nearly 50-years old. I thought I had this all figured out.
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' ~Arthur Clarke

InterAlia1961

• View Profile
    • The Daily Defacto
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 08:02:18 PM »
Please note that's why I wrote: "Alright, I understand that most of you are probably scratching your head at the fact that the reasoning I relate most to comes from Tucker Max, of all people. Nonetheless, despite the source of the reasoning, I still find myself agreeing with it."

It's not that I'm taking advice from him specifically, it's just that my point of view happens to be congruent with his. The reason I quoted him is because his feelings are exactly the same as my own, and he just happens to express them more eloquently than I could, I think.

Ugh. He is NOT eloquent.  :o What do you mean when you say you agree with what he wrote? Which part? I'm sorry, but he writes like a malcontent hipster.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 11:54:11 PM »
What?  Sorry... I stopped reading after "She."

She did 8)  FalconJimmy is most certainly not an ^$$hole. And he is extremely articulate and intelligent. Okay, enough drool. He's also a tad on the pompous side, whereas you, Hamilton, are completely pompous. See the difference?

justanothersucker

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »
someone prefers the company of men.

What?  Sorry... I stopped reading after "She."