Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How long should PS be if no parameters are specified?  (Read 1131 times)

Dreamer77

• View Profile
How long should PS be if no parameters are specified?
« on: September 02, 2011, 07:32:20 PM »
My law school of choice gives vague PS instructions and does not specify how long it should be.  I don't need a specific word number but 1 page? 2 pages? Single spaced or double spaced?

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How long should PS be if no parameters are specified?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »
My law school of choice gives vague PS instructions and does not specify how long it should be.  I don't need a specific word number but 1 page? 2 pages? Single spaced or double spaced?

Strictly opinion, but no more than 2 pages, single-spaced.

No less than 1 page single-spaced.

Those are broad parameters, but the main thing, I think, is that you have a tight, coherent PS that flows well, grabs attention and comes to a satisfactory conclusion at the end.  Think of this in terms of writing a story.  (Enlist the help of one of your fine arts friends if you need to.)  Give the story an arc.  Demonstrate writing skills.

That's all I can contribute from my considerably non-expert opinion.  I do know that I submitted a packet and was accepted and the PS was optional.  However, when I applied for a scholly, they required the PS.  I ended up nabbing a half-ride, and my grades and LSAT didn't really justify that, IMHO.

Burhop

• Sr. Citizen
  • Editor girl @ Northwestern University
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 03:59:30 PM »
You won't go wrong if you keep it to around 750 words. Schools that want you to write more, like Berkeley, will explicitly ask you to write more. - Dani
Lit Journal Editor, Grants Administrator, Poet, Girl about town
www.northwestessay.com

Amicus Curiae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »
Hey, I've looked around a bit and it seems that no more than 2 pages, double spaced.

I hope that helps...

Good luck!