Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Benefits of Intro to Logic Course for LSAT  (Read 1291 times)

gdelarocha

• View Profile
Benefits of Intro to Logic Course for LSAT
« on: August 30, 2011, 10:51:40 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone had any experience taking an intro to logic class, and whether the class was helpful when it came time to taking the LSAT.

Thanks!

prelaw12

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Benefits of Intro to Logic Course for LSAT
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:38:12 PM »
The power-score bibles explain this question in their books. They feel, and I agree, that your time is best spent by preparing specifically for the tasks on the lsat. while an intro to logic course may hit on some portions of logical arguments and the like, you will be dealt alot of extraneous info that is totally unrelated to the lsat. Like History of philosophy, the greek philosophers, and philosophical theories such as the divine command theory and natural law. Ive taken 2 logic courses at my school and they both covered about the same things, 99.9% of which will not help you for the lsat. At least that is my experience.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 04:39:47 PM »
Students of mine who have taken formal logic classes tend to have a nasty habit of making questions far more complex than they really are.  LSAT logic is incredibly basic.  Stick to LSAT specific prep.

anonymousrandom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 01:41:46 AM »
I took an intro to logic class. It's actually really hard. However, I am pretty decent at formal logic now. My opinion, don't go out of your way to take it. Early in your undergrad is an okay idea.