Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When should I take my first LSAT test?  (Read 4720 times)

amyli

• View Profile
When should I take my first LSAT test?
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:29:12 PM »
I am currently about to go into my 3rd year of undergrad and I was wondering when is a good idea to take the LSAT. After scoring pretty low (145) on my first practice test,  I am not opposed to taking the LSAT twice if my score isn't good.

I heard I should take it in June and Sept/Oct of next year as the deadline is November.  Or should I take it this Feb?

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: When should I take my first LSAT test?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:26:43 AM »
Take it when you're ready, no sooner. Once you're sure you're scoring as well as you can on practice tests and are getting nothing more from studying, take it.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

jcb4455

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:02:52 AM »
I wouldn't rush it.  Its better to take it when you are ready.  I see no benefit to taking it in February.  Plan on the June 2012 test and, if you find yourself in need of more prep, you can push it back to October. 

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 06:25:22 PM »
From How Early Should I Start Preparing For The LSAT?:

I'd recommend starting your LSAT prep about 5-6 months before you plan on taking the exam.

About 6 months before test day, you should take a timed, practice LSAT preptest in order to get a baseline score that you will spend the next 6 months working your way up from.

If you start 6 months in advance, you don't need to spend every day on LSAT prep. However, starting this early is an advantage, because even if you only spend a few hours every weekend for the first 3 months, you will have more time to familiarize yourself with the LSAT. A big part of mastering the LSAT is simply becoming familiar and comfortable with the material.(more...)

IClawstud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 11:18:05 PM »
I agree with everyone who's saying don't take it until your ready. But this is the might be some bitter honesty. You better GET READY!... Its gonna be tough no matter when you take it so I would say start practicing after the holidays end. Start around the beginning of January for the June 2012 LSAT.

By taking the June LSAT you have two advantages:
1. June LSAT gives you a jump start on the applications. You will known your score and can start researching schools while people are still studying for their LSAT. If you get your letters of recommendations in early you can have all your applications sent in and completed before October. This is a huge advantage. It means early consideration along with knowing early so it takes some of the stress associated with the anticipation of decisions. 2. If you don't do so well or just want to take the LSAT over again because you think you can do better it leaves you the option of taking it in October and still leaving you plenty of time for applications. Additionally some schools will allow you to send in you application and let them know that you are planning on taking another LSAT in the future. So if you send in your applications at the end of September early October and decide to take the LSAT again in October you can have them put a note on the file that you will be awaiting scores for the October Test.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 12:30:34 AM »
I agree with everyone who's saying don't take it until your ready. But this is the might be some bitter honesty. You better GET READY!...

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 02:39:17 AM »
I agree with everyone who's saying don't take it until your ready. But this is the might be some bitter honesty. You better GET READY!...

I want to live in a van down by the river.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

.Chuck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question-Type Finder utility
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 02:46:09 PM »

I want to live in a van down by the river.

Ha ha.  If you get a good Volkswagen Van and customize it you'll have a rolling apartment and really cut down on monthly living expenses like rent/mortgage payments, utility bills, etc.  Plus, you get to have beach front, riverfront, lakefront, etc. views all over the country whenever you want.  In addition, young chicks totally dig it, but they might be a little extra furry in certain areas so keep a stock of razors and shaving cream (and tampons) in the supplies cabinet, they'll appreciate you for having that stuff handy. 

Quote from: goaliechica

IOPJCRN (In other PJC-related news)
cheeseburger glazed donut bun
 "The burger has been met by criticism from burger puritans and from people who...WANT TO LIVE"

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 08:02:14 PM »
tampons help with furriness?

.Chuck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question-Type Finder utility
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 08:49:40 PM »
tampons help with furriness?

They help keep a certain patch of not well manicured furriness fairly unsoiled and cut down on the odor and laundry volume from girls willing to shack up in a Van.
Quote from: goaliechica

IOPJCRN (In other PJC-related news)
cheeseburger glazed donut bun
 "The burger has been met by criticism from burger puritans and from people who...WANT TO LIVE"