Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In a panic, seeking advice!!  (Read 856 times)

durmamaxallison

• View Profile
In a panic, seeking advice!!
« on: August 29, 2011, 09:52:08 PM »
Greetings all,
   After a few months of research, I feel like I am in deep water over here.  I graduated from an okay undergrad program, where I came out with a GPA of 2.8.  My first few semesters were pretty rough to say the least, where I maintained a 2.3ish GPA.  However, in my senior year I made Dean's List, with a fall semester GPA of 3.75 and a spring semester GPA of 3.5.  I have also taken the LSAT where I scored a 151, which I am not proud of.  Besides my GPA and LSAT scores, I have been working at a law firm trying to gain operational experience and simultaneously building my resume.  I have been struggling with the idea that I may not be accepted to law school... any law school.  I come to you all in hopes that you may provide me with a more concrete answer to this matter, as I have very little general knowledge about what schools accept screw-ups like me.  IS there any hope for me?  Anyone out there with a situation similar to mine?  Oh, and I am not a URM.

GPA: 2.8
LSAT: 151

Thanks in advance.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: In a panic, seeking advice!!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:19:20 PM »
Cooley.

ABA Accredited.

I sat next to a girl who just transferred in from there.

prelaw12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 09:23:29 PM »
Tulsa is probably not an option for you. Average gpa is like 3.3 with the 25th percentile well above 3.0. I think the average lsat is 155. Unless you are a minority, I would not get any hopes up on Tulsa. You would have an ok shot at okc law. average gpa is 3.14. average lsat is 150-151.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 09:54:47 AM »
I will be blunt for the sake of clarity.  First off, nowhere in your post do you indicate that being a lawyer is a lifelong dream, or that you have always wanted to go to law school (if you had, you probably would not be in this situation).  If your decision to go to law school is fairly recent because it seems like the thing to do for lack of anything better - forget it, walk away now, do not screw yourself up financially.  If you MUST go to law school (I would seriously reconsider this decision - see other threads on why) get into whatever ABA T4 school you can.  ACE everything your first year, then transfer to a T1, or high T2.  If, after the first year at the T4, you cannot transfer out you need to think very seriously about pulling the rip cord and saving your financial and professional future.  Heck, if you find yourself struggling and not acing everything after the first semester, rethink your decision.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 10:38:49 AM »
I feel like I am in deep water over here.

Just wait until you have $150,000 in nondischargeable debt!  (Assuming you're financing with loans).

steveb55310

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 12:19:21 PM »
Most Tier 4 schools will take you. Look at GGU for one. Your will need to sell yourself on your personal statement. That and letters of rec will be huge, but the law firm experience should help.
But, yeah, don't panic if you're ok at a Tier 4.