Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I Failed the Baby Bar, and It's Casey Anthony's Fault  (Read 2970 times)

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I Failed the Baby Bar, and It's Casey Anthony's Fault
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 01:11:17 AM »
The FYLSE is an unfair exam because you are given 12 months to internalize concepts that really take more than a year to remember.  And, just because other people come up with a year of study, then exam system, that doesn't mean it's perfect and that there is something wrong with the 80% that fail it.
Angie

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 08:44:47 AM »
I do not understand.  What concepts take more than 1 year to remember that are tested?

InterAlia1961

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
    • View Profile
    • The Daily Defacto
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 10:19:57 AM »
I don't necessarily think the test is unfair, and in light of the fact that we don't have to take the LSAT, it seems more than reasonable. What strikes me as a bit of overkill is CalBar's schedule. I didn't think I was ready to take the test in June. I was recovering from a broken leg which required two surgeries to fix. I was in a wheelchair. I was on pain medication while I studied for the test. I flew to California because of my mobility issues. I am terrified of flying. The whole trip was a disaster. But I had no choice. CalBar demands that you pass the test in the first three consecutive administrations for which you are eligible. If you miss one, it counts as a failed attempt. That's what I think is a little unfair. This constraint was (is) an issue for me.
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' ~Arthur Clarke

lawyerintraining

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 02:07:44 PM »
The FYLSE is an unfair exam because you are given 12 months to internalize concepts that really take more than a year to remember.  And, just because other people come up with a year of study, then exam system, that doesn't mean it's perfect and that there is something wrong with the 80% that fail it.

I'm not denying it's a hard exam, but the 80% has at least part to do with WHO is failing it. If you allow people with a selfpaced online AA degree with a 2.0 and a 120 LSAT to sit it, yeah they will probably fail it(very,very badly). It would be interested to see statistics on the failrate in regards to undergrad GPA and LSAT score.

I'm not saying they can't revise it, they should every few years(just as they do to the GED,LSAT,Multistate bar exam,etc) but it needs to be there. If you don't filter your water, it stops being safe to drink.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 09:44:39 AM »
I'm not saying they can't revise it, they should every few years(just as they do to the GED,LSAT,Multistate bar exam,etc) but it needs to be there. If you don't filter your water, it stops being safe to drink.

I think it's not so much to prevent unsound lawyers, but to prevent people who shouldn't even be in law school from wasting 2 more years of their lives.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 11:25:04 AM »
Perhaps a baby bar should be an ABA requirement - you get 1, maybe 2 bites at the apple then you are done.  That would get rid of some of the diploma mills out there screwing students for $100K who have very little realistic prospect of passing the bar or securing gainful employment in the law.  And I am not being a snob - I went to one of those mills.

I think it's not so much to prevent unsound lawyers, but to prevent people who shouldn't even be in law school from wasting 2 more years of their lives.

lawyerintraining

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 07:38:41 PM »
That might actually not be a bad idea, but I doubt the schools that cry foul when you try to require their grads to even sit the real bar, or who refuse to give a letter grade would bendover and all their students to be asked to do so without a crybaby fest enough to drown a herd of elephants.  :'(

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 09:13:47 PM »
Perhaps a baby bar should be an ABA requirement - you get 1, maybe 2 bites at the apple then you are done.  That would get rid of some of the diploma mills out there screwing students for $100K who have very little realistic prospect of passing the bar or securing gainful employment in the law.  And I am not being a snob - I went to one of those mills.

Not a crazy idea.  Given that most 1L studies are pretty much all the same subjects, this shouldn't be that hard to do.

My understanding, though, is that Law Schools are quite the revenue mill for their universities, though.  I doubt they'd appreciate the idea of losing a big chunk of tuition money.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 11:07:40 AM »
And THAT is the root of the entire problem, from student loans to the schools themselves... money.  Higher ed is now largely a money-making business driven by profit/cash-flow and not voactional training.  If training for profession were the true motivator it would not cost so much and they would not pad their curriculums/graduation requirements with so much fluff (which just ends up costing the customer... I mean student... more money).

Yes, they would never go for a plan that is in the best interest of the student, reduces cost, and reduces the revenue generated by these "schools."

Note to Cooley Law School - these statements are merely personal opinions are not accusations of fraudulent or illegal activity on behalf of any law school or it's administration.  (can't be too careful with those guys).

Not a crazy idea.  Given that most 1L studies are pretty much all the same subjects, this shouldn't be that hard to do.

My understanding, though, is that Law Schools are quite the revenue mill for their universities, though.  I doubt they'd appreciate the idea of losing a big chunk of tuition money.

lawyerintraining

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 07:42:22 PM »
People just cry foul when someone is willing to do the same job but for cheaper. Supply/demand=salary. I get it.

If the ABA/state requirments aren't high enough, just sue them to make them raise it. PROVE harm in COURT. If so, the standard will be raised, and if they continue to meet said standard.....at least you made them do that.

Untill that happens, it's people crying for the love of the taste of their own tears.