Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I Failed the Baby Bar, and It's Casey Anthony's Fault  (Read 3315 times)

InterAlia1961

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
    • View Profile
    • The Daily Defacto
    • Email
I Failed the Baby Bar, and It's Casey Anthony's Fault
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:23:51 PM »
For nearly two months, my subconscious let me know that I didn’t pass the California First-Year Law Student’s Examination (FYLSE, also called the ‘baby bar’). While I waited for my results, I checked my horoscope compulsively, drank more wine than I should have, and assured myself that there was no way I didn’t pass it. I did well on the Concord final. But at night, I dreamed of having to go back—back to the place with the giant trees, back to the library, back to church. In each of these dreams, I saw something associated with Pasadena, California, where I sat for the June 2011 FYLSE. The church was the part of the Pasadena Convention Center, where the test is given, so was the library. I knew I had failed, yet I tried the “keep a positive attitude” routine, and tried to convince myself that I had reached the 560 score that would allow me to continue, triumphantly on through my second year. Some days, it worked. Most days it didn’t.

I studied; I practiced, and I rocked the final. Then I stopped studying and practicing, and started watching theater of the macabre—the Casey Anthony trial. Read the rest here>>>>http://thedailydefacto.com/2011/08/21/failed_californis_baby_bar/

:'(
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' ~Arthur Clarke

lawyerintraining

Re: I Failed the Baby Bar, and It's Casey Anthony's Fault
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 07:37:19 PM »
How many re attempts do you have left? Plan to use them?

With any luck you only need drastic imporvment in specific areas to make studying easier for the next round.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 12:23:38 AM »
I am very sorry that you received that awful yellow paper with the words unsuccessful candidates on the top.  When you take it again, you will pass.
Angie

InterAlia1961

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
    • View Profile
    • The Daily Defacto
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »
How many re attempts do you have left? Plan to use them?

With any luck you only need drastic improvement in specific areas to make studying easier for the next round.

Two attempts left. I plan to take it again in October. I'm practicing every day. My worst area is contracts. I really struggle with contracts essays. Not so with contract mcqs, though. I do well there. In fact, on the  mcq portion, I got 30 correct in contracts. Bombed torts. On the essay portion, I got a passing score on one of the criminal law essays. I'm working on my essay skills and practicing my mcqs.

Angie:  Just out of curiosity...what color is the paper in the envelopes of those who passed?
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' ~Arthur Clarke

agarcia323

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »
Hi,

It appears that we go to the same school, and we took the test in the same location.

This is what I can tell you from personal experience.

My essay scores were as follows.

Criminal Law (the one where the guy entered the females room and her roomates chased him)  I got a 75

Criminal Law Essay 70

Tort Law (Private Nuisance) which I thought I did poorly on I got a 70

Contract Law (Which I thought I did the best on) I got a 60

MBE 85

When you are doing the analysis part just think both sides of the argument.  Just like a real argument with your spouse, co-worker etc.  This is what worked for me.

I didnt do any of the concord baby bar program. 

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 04:25:30 PM »
:'(

Hang in there.  You'll get 'em next time.

lawyerintraining

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 06:40:47 PM »
Hi,

It appears that we go to the same school, and we took the test in the same location.

This is what I can tell you from personal experience.

My essay scores were as follows.

Criminal Law (the one where the guy entered the females room and her roomates chased him)  I got a 75

Criminal Law Essay 70

Tort Law (Private Nuisance) which I thought I did poorly on I got a 70

Contract Law (Which I thought I did the best on) I got a 60

MBE 85

When you are doing the analysis part just think both sides of the argument.  Just like a real argument with your spouse, co-worker etc.  This is what worked for me.

I didnt do any of the concord baby bar program.

I am assumeing that your scores were passes(were they?) What is the minimum to pass? Does it vary by test date on a curve or a set score?

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 01:08:48 AM »
Agarcia323, what color paper  was your notice printed on?
Angie

financialandtaxguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 05:33:35 PM »
Keep trying kiddo!  I'm in the same boat, and my memory skills are fading fast, but I will attempt my second try this October.  This failed exam is no reflection on the skills and abilities you already excel in, it's just a bump on the road, and at times I think it unfair that Calbar has put this extra burden on us, but we keep moving on!

lawyerintraining

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 10:06:24 PM »
Keep trying kiddo!  I'm in the same boat, and my memory skills are fading fast, but I will attempt my second try this October.  This failed exam is no reflection on the skills and abilities you already excel in, it's just a bump on the road, and at times I think it unfair that Calbar has put this extra burden on us, but we keep moving on!

How is it "unfair"? If anything it's more than fair.

Without it, you'd be stuck where every other state is with online JD degrees(nowhere's land)
There has to be some type of gatekeeper weeding out process. For regular JD's its the LSAT and traditional training. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't even the online ones that "require" an LSAT, except ANY score?(even in theory a raw 120)

I'm told it's a hard exam and many lawyers who took it for kicks failed it. That being said, if that went down then online JD's would go the way of the CPEC degrees http://www.cpec.ca.gov/CollegeGuide/Accreditation.asp I believe every few years CA makes a "new agency" with a new name and then has to close it down.