Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Undergrad suspension  (Read 742 times)

prelaw12

• View Profile
    • Email
Undergrad suspension
« on: August 18, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »
So does being suspended from an undergrad school for a semester affect your chances at getting into a law school. I did terrible my freshman year as a bio major. I enrolled and took three classes in another college and got a 4.0 then transferred bacl to the school I was suspended from. as of right now I have a 3.01 gpa and project it it to around 3.3 when I graduate. My lsat should be around 155-157 as that is about what all my preptests have been lately. Does the suspension hinder my acceptance?

prelaw12

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Undergrad suspension
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 09:29:45 AM »
And I thought I should mention that is my lsdas gpa because ive retaken the classes I did poorly in and recieved A's in all but one of them. And my school averages the two scores so my ugpa and lsdas gpa should be almost the exact same.

lawyerintraining

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »
Just be honest about it, and the reasons behind it.

Lots of people who pull up from an AP suspension actually look good on a personal statement.

People suspended for catfighting/drugdealing.......harder uphill argument(but not impossible either)

worst thing is for them to find out on their own, honor code violation=hell.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:32:45 PM »
if it's for academic reasons, it definitely doesn't doom you

prelaw12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:00:49 PM »
Should I talk about the suspension in an adendum or on my personal statement?

pslaw2011

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 09:19:06 PM »
an addendum works fine- just don't use too many of them.

prelaw12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 12:26:12 AM »
I question if I should explain the suspension at all. I think my transcript should be adequate at explaining that I did terrible my freshman year, got suspended due to grades, then bounced back and got all A's and B's throughout all of my remaining semesters. I feel that my grade trend is obvious and giving a lame excuse like "I just wasnt prepared" is a bit cliche. Does anyone agree?

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 03:06:25 AM »
I question if I should explain the suspension at all. I think my transcript should be adequate at explaining that I did terrible my freshman year, got suspended due to grades, then bounced back and got all A's and B's throughout all of my remaining semesters. I feel that my grade trend is obvious and giving a lame excuse like "I just wasnt prepared" is a bit cliche. Does anyone agree?

might be cliche, but a lot of schools require you to disclose that and require you to explain it in an addendum.