Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MSU vs Stetson  (Read 781 times)

TeaMobile

• View Profile
MSU vs Stetson
« on: August 17, 2011, 09:27:06 AM »
Just wondering what you guys would pick if you had to choose between the two. I like the fact that MSU has a national name but I visited Stetson and the campus and surrounding area was amazing. Thoughts?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MSU vs Stetson
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 08:53:42 PM »
I was basically in a similar situation when I was a 0L and choosing between MSU and my current school. The simple fact is that schools of this caliber don't carry much weight outside of their market. Michigan is likely fine for Michigan, but Michigan is kind of in the sh**ter that has nothing to do with MSU law just a fact. Stetson will probably do fine in Florida, but nobody is going to go out of their way for an MSU Grad and same for Stetson or any school other than T14. It really comes down to where you would rather live. The school I ended up choosing is "lower ranked" than MSU, but it has worked fine, because I wanted to live where my school is located and plenty of places in my area hire people from my school simply because of the location. I have never worked alongside an MSU law student and that is simply because Michigan is very far away from where I am located.

The rankings are basically a joke outside of the T14 schools and DO NOT base your decision on them. Schools move upwards of 20-25 spots any given year and currently there is an 11 way tie for 84th place, which I believe Michigan State is in. Actually there are in a 4 way tie for 95th place as you can see here. http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings/page+4 . If you look you will see every school is in a 5-10 way tie for some obscure spot. This is because the ranking formula makes no sense it based on people filling out Scantrons. This is why the ABA, AALS, LSAC and every accredited law school organization adamantly warns against considering them. U.S. News is nothing more than a private magazine offering their subjective opinion on schools.

So it really comes down to whether you want to live in Michigan or Florida. The rank-name of either school is going to be irrelevant the location will matter. Remember all ABA schools basically teach you the same thing so you will not get a better or worse education from MSU or Stetson. You will be reading Supreme Court cases and analyzing them. The Supreme Court does not make special editions for certain schools you will just be reading Pennoyer v. Neff, Palsgraf, International Shoe, all these random cases and analyzing them. You will also learn Westlaw, Lexis, etc and this curriculum is the same at every ABA school. Well good luck to you.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 05:06:57 PM »
MSU gives slightly better opportunities in every way.

Employment prospects are slightly better. Salaries are slightly higher. Fewer graduates making nothing.

Look here: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?school=msu&show=salaries&class=2009

and here: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?school=stetson

TeaMobile

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 05:55:34 PM »
Bigs, Thanks a lot for your insight. I would much rather live down south and I have heard Stetson does well in their market. Also, I have heard that nobody really cares where you went to law school after you are out in practice. The COL in Tampa is relatively cheap, so I think after its all said and done Stetson may be my top  choice barring an unlikely acceptance to George Mason (VA resident with a 157). Thanks again for all of your help.

Cheers

pslaw2011

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 07:17:06 PM »
Be careful on thinking the cost of living in tampa is cheap. If its cheap here there definitely is a reason why.  And, if your going full time Stetson is in gulfport quite different from tampa. Gulfport is very divided between really nice and really not.

However, Stetson has a wonderful reputation in central FL and should be fine through the state.