Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is an LLM worth it?  (Read 6746 times)

lawyerintraining

Is an LLM worth it?
« on: August 16, 2011, 03:18:49 AM »
Is it worth the time and costs? Would it still be worth it if gotten from an online school life taft after getting the JD from an ABA school like regent?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is an LLM worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 05:15:14 PM »
A specialized LLM in Tax might worth it but if it were an online I am not sure it would add much unless you acquired practice experience first.

Tofayel

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - apobangladesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »
In job field, value of online degree is too minimum. But in law profession has private practice scope, so you may take online LLM program.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 09:22:20 AM »
In other words, pass the bar and get some practice experience first before pursuing a LLM in Tax.  Otherwise you can work for TurboTax as a Tax Advisor, they want to hire attorneys at $16-$18 an hour!!

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 10:41:43 AM »
In other words, pass the bar and get some practice experience first before pursuing a LLM in Tax.  Otherwise you can work for TurboTax as a Tax Advisor, they want to hire attorneys at $16-$18 an hour!!

He said unless it's an online LLM in TAx.

Also, that turbotax ad was for all sorts of people, not just attorneys.  I'd like to see some proof that they actually hired a licensed attorney for $16 an hour.

If you get a real LLM in Tax from a real program, your employment prospects are greatly enhanced.  My best friend got an LLM in Tax way back in the day and he's never been without options.  LLM in Tax is a good deal.  The best way, of course, is to get a job doing tax law and get them to sponsor you through an LLM Program because they can be expensive.  However, even if you had to do it on your own dime, it'd pay off eventually.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »
I can't see how a LLM IN Tax is going to make anyone much more employable unless they have some work experience as an attorney first. It might make you marginally more employable but you would have to give up two years of potential earnings  and I am not sure the math would make sense since Tax law does not come to mind as paying more than say litigation. In fact, LLMs have to compete somewhat with CPAs, CPA-Attorneys and Enrolled Agents.

And yes, $16-$18 an hour is what Intuit is offering licensed attorneys with tax experience I know because I spoke with them last week. I had to hold back the laughter but they would not have offered that rate unless there were takers.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »
I can't see how a LLM IN Tax is going to make anyone much more employable unless they have some work experience as an attorney first. It might make you marginally more employable but you would have to give up two years of potential earnings  and I am not sure the math would make sense since Tax law does not come to mind as paying more than say litigation. In fact, LLMs have to compete somewhat with CPAs, CPA-Attorneys and Enrolled Agents.

Jon, a lot of time you make sense, but right now, you really don't.

First, an LLM in tax takes about 9 months, not 2 years.

Second, for most attorneys, it's exceptionally difficult to work in Tax without an LLM in Tax.  Some folks, I guess, could luck into it and start working tax right off the bat.  Never known of one, personally, but I won't say it's impossible.  I will, absolutely, state that if it's somebody's plan to work tax law without an LLM, that it's an unrealistic idea and that it borders on impossible.  I won't say, categorically, that it's impossible.  For all I know, NYU is strong enough, and close enough to Wall Street that they can place people doing tax work right off the bat, but for most people at most law schools, you will not work in tax law without an LLM.

Third, tax attorneys bill higher rates and get higher salaries than your typical garden variety attorney at similar firms.  Who do you think is doing tax litigation?  Labor attorneys? 

Fourth, Tax attorneys don't do anything remotely resembling the work of CPAs, and CPAs don't do anything that's even remotely the same as what Tax Attorneys do... well... actually, that's not entirely true.  Some CPAs try to practice tax law, and generally Tax Attorneys are glad they do because their clients end up needing representation when they get hauled before the IRS.  The majority of LLMs you know do not know much accoutning, and despite what most CPAs think of themselves, they know precious little actual tax law.  If you've got a CPA doing your tax planning, chances are you don't have that much in the way of income and assets to deal with.

And yes, $16-$18 an hour is what Intuit is offering licensed attorneys with tax experience I know because I spoke with them last week. I had to hold back the laughter but they would not have offered that rate unless there were takers.

Fantastic logic, there, Jon. 

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 08:37:12 PM »
I was wrong, figure one year for a LLM in Tax from what I can see. Best deal would be a joint JD/LLM program like Loyola LA offers.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 09:23:43 PM »
Is it worth the time and costs? Would it still be worth it if gotten from an online school life taft after getting the JD from an ABA school like regent?

1.  Depends.  Is it a Tax LLM from NYU, GULC, University of Florida, or Northwestern?  Is it an IP LLM and you are able to sit for the patent bar?  Are you a foreign student looking to back-door your way into US law practice?  If the answer to any of the above is "yes," then go.  If not, then DO NOT GO.

2.  LLM from an online school = Horrible idea.

LincolnLover

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 07:07:51 PM »
Isn't there ABA approved online LLM's now from schools that offer them on campus? How would anyone know the difference?